finlander

removing Etex form lexan lips

10 posts in this topic

I'm making smaller muskie lures now and was not careful handling the lure. I use gloves to keep the stuff off my hands. Gloves transfered some etex to these small lexan lips. Can I remove it without sanding the lip? I would like to keep the lips clear without the scratches. Thanks.

I have not found a way. Any type of solvent will get the etex off but it will cloud the lip.

Skeeter

the best solution i can think of (not tried) is to get it off with a solvent then use a buffing wheel on your dremel to polish it back up, might not be perfect but it would be better than a glob of etex i assume.

There is a product called Goo Gone if applied while still sticky works very well without the fumes that denatured Alc has , but that will also work I'm sure, it is a bit oily though good luck

i don't know if you've tried this or are currently doing it, but masking the lip off is the easiest way to pevent this. i've never had any trouble peeling the tape off. i have also used a small needle to chip small blobs off with virtually no scratches from plastics, not sure if it will work on lexan

Finlander,

I don't know about etex but with devcon I wait untill the epoxy is set, then use denatured alcohol and a cotton swab. You can hold the swab on the area untill it softens and wipe off the lexan. I've not had to remove anything major though ... just a drop or a web strand that occasionally get on the lexan.

Shawn

Shawn,

Do4es it cloud the lip where the alcohol hits it?

Skeeter

Skeeter,

No clouding at all. It leaves a shine that looks unflawed. I don't know if it makes a difference but the brand I use is Klean-strip S-L-X Denatured alcohol from auto parts plus. Cotton swabs are soft and work better than a tissue for removing the epoxy.

Shawn

Is this how you all also remove devcon.Etex from whatever you use to stir it? I'm avoiding using the brush or wooden stirring sticks in an effort to reduce bubbles....(not meaning to hijack thread as it should apply to both)