oz

lacquer thinner

hello guys,

I'm new to your great forum yet have already learnt many useful tips for lure building. i'm in the process of building a popper from balsa wood. The lure will consist of 2 sheets of balsa (9mm) which are going to be glued with epoxy glue, and then the whole body will be sanded, shaped etc. The sealing method I have chosen is Tally's plastic dip, yet I was wondering if the lacquer thinner and plastic cup mix would dissolve the epoxy used to stick the balsa sides together. Anybody knows?

And something else. Could you please tell me what exactly is the lacquer thinner??? What is it meant to do originally and subsequently where can I find it??? I'm asking all these cause I live in Greece so I'm not in position to buy the particular product Tally adviced. Therefore I have to understand what exactly I want to purchase :P:P:P :oops:

Thank you in advance and keep this great web site running!!!!

kbkindle at one time about20 years ago cars and trucks were painted with lacquer paint. so the use of thinner was to thin the paint the goverment in usa banned lacquer for sale. may be in greece they still have it. t would get in contact with a shop that paints cars and check it out. but i did see in our local wallmart lacquer thinner for sale. it was $12.00 a gal. thats about the best i can do kb

oz,

Lacquer thinner is a solvent. It is universal. Check with people that paint cars. You can also use Acetone or MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone). Theses are thinners too. You can thin lacquer with them also. If all you are doing is just dipping a lure then the thinner should not really bother the epoxy. If you leave the lure in the thinner for a couple of minutes then the epoxy will start to get tacky and thin. Hope this helps.

Skeeter

thanks a lot for answering guys!!! I bought a liquid called Nitro Thinner and I 've been told it melts all plastic. Let's see if this works... I'll keep you informed in case somebody finds it interesting!

Again many many thanks for your comments!!!

again hello,

I used this thing Nitro Thinner with foam and...it works great!!!! It melts foam in a couple of seconds leaving a plastic liquid ready to dip your plug in. Once it dries it leaves a "caramel like" surface that not only constitutes your wood waterproof, but makes it very hard too!!!! (the wood used for my popper is balsa).

Cu around,

OZ.

again hello,

I used this thing Nitro Thinner with foam and...it works great!!!! It melts foam in a couple of seconds leaving a plastic liquid ready to dip your plug in. Once it dries it leaves a "caramel like" surface that not only constitutes your wood waterproof, but makes it very hard too!!!! (the wood used for my popper is balsa).

Cu around,

OZ.