bassmaster1

Lip Help!!!

I just started making balsa crankbaits, and almost have my first one done. All i have to do is put on the finishing epoxy, but when painting i put tape on the lip and had a hard time getting it off after painting. I was wondering if you put a special type of tape on or what kind you use and how you put it on. I will post pics of my first 2 when they are done, probably in about 3 or 4 days.

Thanks,

Aaron

Try this:

Instead of gluing the lip in prior to painting, just put in a small piece of the material you're going to use for the lip. Don't glue it in, just insert it in the slot so that when you paint you won't get paint in the slot.

Then after painting and prior to sealing the lure, glue in the actual lip.

No masking.

Also the "plug" of Lexan that you put in the lip slot (instead of the actual lip itself) should be just about the size of the lip slot; it shouldn't stick out the front or sides of the lip slot more than an 1/4 of an inch or so...that way if you are going to use veiling material to paint the scale effect, the veiling material will lay nice and tight around the head area of the lure.

I'll post a picture of what I'm talking about in a few minutes.

Lipslotsample.jpg

As you can see, the piece inserted in the lip slot is cut very close to the width of the lure itself. I leave just a little piece protruding from the front of the lure so that I can pull it out with a pair of pliers just prior to gluing in the lip and sealing the lure with epoxy.

If you're buying your lips instead of making them, just buy a few extras that you can cut up with a bandsaw or a coping saw.

This eliminates the masking tape altogether.

Hope that helps.

The easiest way i have found to make a good lip slot is using a band saw so you can lay the bait flat on the table and make sure it is a square cut. I also flip the bait over and just "brush" the blade against it again to make sure the cut is square. You can do it with a scroll saw but the blade flexes a little too much for me. Just decide what angle you want on the bait and make a pattern so you can get it as consistent as possible. That helps a lot.

Good Luck, Mike