Troublehook

Clear Coat

Hey guys. I am new to crainbait making, and for the most pasrt I have been making them with my own teqniques(At least not common tecniques) and I am having one problem. I need a nice, thick, strong clear coat for the lures. I am using balsa wood, and I want to know what to buy, the price of it, and where to buy it. Spray on coatings arent going to cut it for my needs. Thanks for any help offered.

Oh! The infamous question.I was directed towards the devcon 2 ton epoxy/20 minute curing time.It is around 3 bucks here in TX.I havent tried anything else and probably wont.Wally word or hardware stores have it usually.Also now when you make a post, Look at the bottom of the page and some of your questions will be already answered or do a search for clearcoat. Good luck.

This is what I have learned from the masters on this site and it has worked well for me. Also at walmart they sell a white handled model paint brush.It is just the right stiffness to spread the epoxy.You will mix good/apply/and either hand turn or rotate on a drying wheel.I strongly suggest the wheel.There is a wealth of information about this subject under the author COLEY.You can also search his post and you will probably find every answer you could posibly think of.No offense to the other guys he just seems to have more answer post.Give it a try and if ya run into a problem feel free to ask again.

Here's my two cents. First, make sure you don't accidentally buy the Devcon that has the quicker drying time. You'll find it in WalMart with the other glues. This is usually near the paint department. They are sold in syringe tubes and are two part mixes.

As far as application, the brushes are fine, but I got tired of replacing brushes when too much epoxy dried in the bristles. I just apply with a toothpick! You can squirt the stuff on a folded piece of paper, mix it up, and apply it by picking up a glob on the toothpick and spreading on the lure. You will need some practice to get the proper amount on there. Too much and it will run while drying, too little will give you insufficient coverage. You might need two coats until you get some practice. Better to put it on too thin than too thick.

Make double sure you mix this stuff in equal parts. Also, when you replace the cap on the tubes, I would recommend storing it in a zip lock bag. If this leaks all over your luremaking stuff, you'll never get it off. How do I know? It happened to me!

I use what no one else has mentioned yet.....1 inch foam brushes. They have a great tapered point end and are ideal for all the bait sizes I use from 3" to 7". I buy them at a local craft store when they come on sale for 10 for $1.00. Ya can't beat that price, so I load up and buy 5 bucks worth. Use 'em once and pitch 'em after you're done. I have used them with all 3 clear coats, FlexCoat, Devcon 2T and Etex with great results. After applying the clearcoat of your choice, I use a heat gun to even out the clear and get rid of any tiny air bubbles. Put the baits in your drying rack and you are done. Simply. Cheap. And most of all EASY!!!

Oldthunder

www.eaglelures.com

hi,

i use aluminium handled disposable epoxy brushes. these are sold in hobby shops which sell remote control planes/cars etc.

whatever brush i have tried, a problem that i have encountered when using a thicker clear coat like devcon, is that the bristles start pulling out after a while. a trick i use to reduce this from happening is to squeeze a few drops of superglue around the base of the brush(where it meets the handle).

cheers

Peter

I use cheap plastic sandwich baggies to spread Devcon. I just put my finger in the baggie, dip it in the epoxy, and then spread it out on the lure. The baggies I use have two corners at the bottom, so I use each bag twice. (Yes, I'm cheap). I didn't have much success at reusing the brushes, even though others have. I also tried wearing latex gloves and just spreading epoxy on with my finger. That left the finish with a cloudy appearence. I think the gloves have some sort of powder on them.

Good luck

Brad

Thanks Art Brush for finding Coley's post. I knew that was there somewhere!

To each his own but the brush is the way to go. I would be curious as to how you all topcoat your bait using plastic bags without getting it all over the lip??????

Tally

cover the lip up with masking tape. I just did my first lure, and the application went on nicely, and it looked good. the bad parts were what followed. I wasnt thinking very much when I started, and I didnt wear glove. I was very clomesy for some reason tonite. At first I started getting epoxy on my hand, and so I grabbed a napkin to hold the lure by the lip, and walked over to the sink. As i washed my hand I droped the lure on a rug, and got some dust/dog hair on it. Then I grabbed the 1st clothes pin I saw to hold the lure, and I didnt realize untill after I cliped it on that It had a ball of dust on it that got onto my lure. But all is well now. Its looking pretty good. Sorry for the long read, just had to share my firts experience.

I would be curious as to how you all topcoat your bait using plastic bags without getting it all over the lip??????

Tally - The "secret" is to use the corner of the bag at the bottom. It forms a nice little point so you can apply the epoxy a little more precisely. I usually mask the lip with some tape, but have also applied the clear coat without masking first.

Brad

As Tally said...to each his own. We all have our way. I must say the toothpicks work great. You can get the devcon EXACTLY where you want it and keep it off where you don't. Also, you can kind of "brush" it on the larger parts of the lure by laying the toothpick on the bait surface and working from end to end. I get even coverage this way. Best of all, just pitch the toothpick and grab another next time. Also, you don't have to buy brushes or acetone.

Threadkiller returns to post a correction. Bent wire accomplishes the same as the toothpick, but better. It doesn't absorb, and will wipe clean with alcohol or other substance. Don't have to throw it away, and no brush marks. Bend the wire to conform to the bait. You can pick up a lot or little, just like a brush.

I had the problem with the brush hair coming out. I used a brush made for applying acid in plumbing that worked ok. They are cheap and can be cleaned. When I applied the first coat I noticed there were areas not well covered. Devcon two ton is suppose to be self leveling but if the room temp is not warm it will set up on you quicker. I was trying to do five lures with one mix and found I had poor flow on the brush. On the second coat I picked up some hard particles that gave me some bumps in the finish.

Make sure you have good light and take your time or you will be disapointed.

I want some clearification on the devcon two ton. Does wal-mart sell it in something other than tubes ie two bottles. I bought it in the tube/cyringe.