Triton Mike

Foam Swimbait help...

I am looking to mold a 3-4 piece jointed swimbait design I have out of Foam. I've done the board searches and my head hurts with all of the information available to the point that I still haven't made a decision yet LOL.

Questions that I have

1. whats the best for the buck foam to use for swimbaits in the 6-8 inch range and where do I get it? Specifically what brand and formula..

2. The bait I want to mold has a V joint. Anyone got an idea on how to make a mold with a V joint and what mold material they would reccommend? I have alot of experience with Durhams Water Putty using for lead but not sure what mold material would be best for a V jointed bait and using foam? I am definitely going to probably need 3 seperate molds for the 3 seperate pieces. If I can't mold the V joint in the mold I might have to mold it flat and make the V Joint manually. Thoughts? words of wisdom?

3. I hear alot about having to clean the foam body up before painting and release agent?

I think I have everything else in my head down pat. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I am looking to mold a 3-4 piece jointed swimbait design I have out of Foam. I've done the board searches and my head hurts with all of the information available to the point that I still haven't made a decision yet LOL.

Questions that I have

1. whats the best for the buck foam to use for swimbaits in the 6-8 inch range and where do I get it? Specifically what brand and formula..

http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

Get the 16lb wt and one of the spray Mold release. http://www.shopmaninc.com/moldrelease.html

2. The bait I want to mold has a V joint. Anyone got an idea on how to make a mold with a V joint and what mold material they would reccommend? I have alot of experience with Durhams Water Putty using for lead but not sure what mold material would be best for a V jointed bait and using foam? I am definitely going to probably need 3 seperate molds for the 3 seperate pieces. If I can't mold the V joint in the mold I might have to mold it flat and make the V Joint manually. Thoughts? words of wisdom?

http://www.shopmaninc.com/moldmaking.html Use the 75-80. It's very hard but has a bit of flex. When the Knowledge Base-How to' date=' comes back online, read Shawns Tutorial on Mold making, all 5 parts.[/b']

3. I hear alot about having to clean the foam body up before painting and release agent?

Depends on the MR. I saw a paintable on by Driscoll that I will try in the future. Presently I use paste wax which I clean off with mineral spirits, then wash with hot soap water and rinse clean.

I think I have everything else in my head down pat. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Also, Mahawai, Musky Dan, and a few others here have been making beautiful foamies, so read what they have posted.

Mike P

hiTriton Mike,

no idea who mahawai is... but my nick is Kahawai!

i have used foam-it 15 and it works fine.

i use the hardest RTV silicone for mold material

i have been working on a jointed foamie too- not there yet but have veered away from the V-joint idea- problems i figured- the mold needs to be seperate vertically, or be soft enough to take the deep undercut, or be of more than 2 pieces- all of which have problems. i think i got a workable alternative solution with figured out-but won't post it until i have tried it out!

some recent foamies using hard RTV silicon mold and foam it 15

cheers

Peter

187-8722_IMG.jpg

187-8705_IMG.jpg

187-8711_IMG.jpg

hiTriton Mike' date='

no idea who mahawai is... but my nick is Kahawai!

[b']Now, is that a coincidence, or what? Two guys with such similar nicks, in the same obscure hobby group. Wow, it's such a small world.[/b]

i have used foam-it 15 and it works fine.

i use the hardest RTV silicone for mold material

i have been working on a jointed foamie too- not there yet but have veered away from the V-joint idea- problems i figured- the mold needs to be seperate vertically, or be soft enough to take the deep undercut, or be of more than 2 pieces- all of which have problems. i think i got a workable alternative solution with figured out-but won't post it until i have tried it out!

some recent foamies using hard RTV silicon mold and foam it 15

cheers

Peter

187-8722_IMG.jpg

187-8705_IMG.jpg

187-8711_IMG.jpg

Love your stuff, Peter. It appears as thought you have that blistering issue licked.

i forgot to post this link-

http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~f-sense/build2.htm

the idea i am working on is similiar to this. check out the lures on the site whilst you're there- the craftmnship and finishes are amazing.

thanks husky! learnt a lot from you and others here. yes, solved the blistering with more careful clamping and cleaning the lure with warm soapy water as advised.

cheers

peter

Gots dayum now thats a wire harness!!! LOL. My V joint isn't all that deep so if the mold is flexible like a car tire I should be Ok. The tricky part would be making the mold. I don't know what the consistancy of RTV is in it's just after mixed state but if it's putty it's going to be tricky. Then I am tinkering with having the ballast weight hole pre made as well. Not sure if I want to do that or just drill it after the fact. I don't know how easy that foam stuff fills a cavity. Lots of What if's!! But I'd like to hear more ideas. So What foam do you like best Kahawi? Also how have you weighted your baits? Love the scale patterns!

Mike

Hi Mike!I also use the smooth-on foam-it 15 lbs and it work great!!there is some things that you have to know about foam!The room temp i very important if you whant to avoid bubbles problems,i ad that problem the first time I poured some baits and they dident came out very nice!To answer your question about the rtv,the consistancy is like treacle!!!very thick but it will fill all detail dont worry!!You have to mix it very well before pouring it as well.

Good luck whit your project and if you need any help just ask and I will do my best to help you out!!artbrush and husky are the best here when it comes to foamies so if you listen what they have to say you will do just fine!!!!!

cheers,Muskydan666

ps:I am sending you a few pics of my lures and mold so you could see what it look like!!

fewlures002.jpg

specialperch.jpg

moule.jpg

cosmolurestest003.jpg

testinglure.jpg