Husky

From the Peta "Little Red Book."

"Is recreational fishing OK if the fish are released after being caught??

Unfortunately, people who practice ?catch and release? fishing cause no less harm to fish than do other anglers. Fish who are caught and then returned to the water suffer such severe physiological stress that they often die of shock, or their injuries may make them easy targets for predators"

What horsespit! I know for a fact that there are fish that were tagged. released and recaught numerous times. The above quote is simply not true, infact it's a lie. How about some accountability from these people, or are they just allowed to make things up as they go along?

Let's here them complain about how many insects are killed during the development of human housing.

Husky, There is no logic with these folks. There use to be a lady that I worked with that was a big PETA supporter. She heard 1 time that I deer hunted in addition to loving to fish. She would rag on me constantly. I asked her once if hunting was so bad, why wasn't it bad to plow under 5 acres of woods to put up a shopping mall. Her response was that the deer would just move. I said what if they didn't have any place to go. Her response was that they would figure out something. NO COMMON SENSE!

Chris

About PETA? Are they just a bunch of activists spouting off or do they actually have any clout? Are decisions being made that will affect our lives, our fishing and luremaking because of their actions? Do they really have any lawful say in anything?

They have 10's of millions of dollars, high visibility spokespersons and an Agenda. Underestimating what they can do would be a mistake. One ir 2 pieces of legislation could really be a PITA. They should be called to task for non truths, if just to lower their credibility. JMHO

Not sure how much politcal clout they have, but they do seem to te able to get the news media behind them without much trouble. Unfortunately, it is kind of the squeaky wheel theory. That is why a number of different organizations have organized to fight them. I know the VA BASS Fed. worked with the state legislature to help pass some hunting and fishing "interefence" laws to help combat these folks.

Chris

www.cpccrankbaits.com

In my opinion these people are one the biggest threats to our way of life. They are well funded, determined and do not work within establised proven science. They actually have published anti fishing "comics" and try to distribute them in schools to kids calling thier fishing parents killers etc. The only way that we can deal with them is to organize against them. That is why I belong to several organizations that stand for my way of life like BASS and DU to name a few. I urge others to do the same.

mossy maker

In my opinion these people are one the biggest threats to our way of life. They are well funded' date=' determined and do not work within establised proven science. They actually have published anti fishing "comics" and try to distribute them in schools to kids calling thier fishing parents killers etc. The only way that we can deal with them is to organize against them. That is why I belong to several organizations that stand for my way of life like BASS and DU to name a few. I urge others to do the same.

mossy maker[/quote']

I'd love to see how they'd react if a colony of fire ants were making a bee line to their collective crotches

Hi all

It is not what anglers think that counts but what the general public think, after all we anglers will all be of the same sane mindset. We should realise that the vast majority of the public will recognise bodies such as PETA as extreme fruitcakes but there are always going to be the small percentage of the public that are influenced by their rantings and at the end of the day when we live in countries democratically run they do have a right to air their views publicly. You guys and gals in the US are lucky though in so much as you have a government that is not afraid to follow its own mind (be it right or wrong) unlike our weak and wet government here in the UK which is so far down in the 'PC' pit that there is even talk now of Christmas being offensive to other religions !!! A good example of their weakness is the recent banning of fox hunting, a traditional pastime here in the UK for hundreds of years. As long as anglers have a united front and eloquent spokespersons PETA will pose no threat to our sport.

philB

I don't think PETA will pose any real threat to the sport fishing industry because of the billions of $ that our sport generates every year into the North American economy. The powers that be and big industry would never stand for it.

I'm not saying that they are not dangerous to some degree but I don't think that they are as powerful as they think they are. They are sort of like a flea on an elephant's butt; he knows it's there and he'll swat it the first chance he gets.

It's more than just PETA and the other "antis". Kids are being not so subtly brainwashed by a number of animated films featuring cute talking animals that think and behave just like real children. (Bambi, Open Season, etc.) Who are the villains in these movies? The cruel brutish hunters out to murder them and their parents!

It's a bit unsettling to realize that film makers' political agendas are being

aimed at children who don't yet have the experience and ability to consistantly differentiate between fact,fiction,lies.half truths and reality.

As parents, (or grandparents) it's a part of our responsibility to present our side of the story. Take a kid fishing!

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Husky is right, we can't under estimate their force. They do have mega money and that is clout. They are the ones behind getting bills in front of the legislature to ban Dove hunting and in some states it has worked. What's next??? Deer hunting??? That is just the beginning trust me. Our only defense is support groups such as Bass, DU, NRA, etc. otherwise we won't have a voice. JMO

Rod

I think Rollo hit the nail on the head! Take a kid fishing. Something so simple can impact his or her life forever. Fond memories can build up into a passion for fishing and it's lifestyle.

I agree. My 10 year old daughter was totally anti-fishing thanks to Finding Nemo. That is until she went fishing for the first time this summer.

Put your rod down for a day and spend the time teaching someone to fish.

We have to get the next generation out on the water and in the field. There is no better ad campain then getting your kids (and your neighbor's kids) out on the water.

Just my .02

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,

James

One day I had an anti-fishing nut that wanted to start an argument and asked me if I knew that as many as 50% of the bass released died.

I replied that I didn't have any scientific data to quote regarding the mortality rate of bass released while fishing, but I knew for a fact that if we didn't release them, all of them would die.