finlander

Grandma/Jake style baits...

Hey, I'll be the first to start new posts for the rebuilding phase, if you will. What wood would you suggest for the above baits? I've been using cedar lately but they are smaller baits, 6 inches. The above lures are taller and thinner. Is cedar strong enough for a body 1/2 inch wide? Thanks, Bruce.

I've made grandma/jake style baits from poplar, oak, cherry, and PVC board.

Each has it's own unique characteristics. The oak seems to be almost neutrally bouyant after you crank it down to its max depth. The poplar makes a great all around bait.

The cedar might work, but it might be a bit on the lightweight side for musky, but I've only tried it on a few cranks. I wasn't please with the softness and I question its ability to hold the eyescrews in under stress.

no expert here to say the least, but i have used pine, ceadar and basswood, and all work well, yes they are soft, pine being the softest, cedar then basswood, but all work well for this type of bait, it comes down to the action you want or require and which wood will serve you best, as for the screw eyes coming out, never had it happen, always 5 min epoxy the screw eye in and you will be more then fine, just my 2 cents hope it helps

Etch