GITBIT

Hand Tied Jigs: Is there a tutorial for doing this?

I have tied jigs in the past, but am curious how most are doing this, especially tying off the tag end when finished. It has been awhile and need a refresher. I was shown a technique with heavy mono. You tye over the mono and then pull the tag end under using the loop of mono. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

GITBIT

A whip finisher is by far the best method for finishing out the windings. If you are begining to learn how to use one you will most likely want to buy three or four of them. The reason being is that until you learn how to adjust the tightness of your wraps you will always get some too tight and bend the lower arm of the whip finisher. You can only bend one so many times until it gets weak and breaks.

I use the large ones from Janns for tying everything from 1/32 oz. to 3/4 oz. jigs. Also when you start adding looped wire weedguards and wire pronged bait keepers to jigheads you will need the larger sized whip finisher.

When you do break one of them dont throw it away. It comes in handy for picking out backlash and has several other uses on the workbench.

The Matarelli style whip finisher is probably a little more robust – also comes in two sizes. You can learn to tie the whip finish by hand – for bigger jigs. For jigs that you are going to clear coat the threads – you can use a couple of alternating overhand knots and snug the knot(s) up to the jig head.

I tie my own jigs, best bet is the half hitch with a drop of head cement (I use hard as nails -- get it from your wife).

However I do not use a whip finisher tool. When I first started I had a video tape in the kit, and it showed a method of finishing using your fingers. I can finish up with a couple of half hitches about as quick as a whip finisher tool.

I use clear thread (mono) quite a bit since I like that the color of the material shows through.

Give synthetic materials a try with jigs (super hair etc.) , you'll be surprised, they can add some bulk without having to add a bunch of material.'

Rick

I'm curious I never used a whip finisher and I tie plenty of jigs myself. I take a 6" piece of kevlar thread and fold it in half. Then I pinch the top inch of it flat against the wrap. I take the bobbin and wrap about 6 more times. Cut the bobbin thread so I have about an inch of tag end. Take the tag end and pull it through the kevlar thread and pull the kevlar by the open ends out of the wrap. This pulls the tag end of the tying thread through the 6 loops you made with the bobbin and it cinches down nicely. I know my description sounds complicated but it takes about 5 seconds to do once you understand what is going on.