ernel

Slipped on the lip slot

While I am awaiting the passing of Christmas and the coming of more cash flow, I am not able to splurge on any more tools. I have been using mostly a pocket knife a Dremel and sandpaper to shape my first few bodys.

With that being said I totally screwed the lip slot on the lure that I actually got a decent body out of. The Dremel was apparently a little too hungry, or I was shaking from trying to quit smoking, and the lip slot is too big. Can it be saved, or should it be chalked up to experience?

Thank,

Eric

I've done that and have the same problem when replacing a broken diving bill. What works for me is U-40 Rod Bond paste epoxy. Rod Bond is a medium thick epoxy paste that comes in 2 4oz jars for around $10. It's made for gluing cork handles and reel seats onto rods and is very strong. 8oz of the stuff lasts a long time and can be used for other jobs too. It has a work time of more than 1 hr and takes 24 hrs to cure hard. You can smooth it out with a finger while uncured and clean up any that gets on a plastic or Lexan bill with a Q-tip dipped in naphta (aka lighter fluid). The paste makes it easy to position bills in too-large slots without epoxy leaking all over the place. Other paste epoxies are available at home centers if you'd prefer a smaller volume, but Rod Bond is what I've tried.

Dean & Bob,

I actually did a combination. I used some scotch tape to create temporary side walls at the lip cut and filled it with 5 min epoxy. I just baby sat it for 5 minutes and it turned out as good as if I had planned it that way. I will see if it hurts the swimming action tommorrow or Christmas night.

Thanks,

Eric