crankybait

paint types

JMHO, there is none. I have no more problems shooting cheap hobby acrylics thinned with water than with airbrush formulated paints. Plus, they come in a much wider array of colors. Yes, the cheap paints have coarser paint particles, but they don't seem to cause any more clogs than Createx when using a Paashe VL or Badger 175T. You can even add Createx 4011 Reducer if you want, to give it some flow enhancement and quicker drying, but that's not really necessary. The only problem I've had is that a few of the cheap acrylics don't mix well with other brands, but that's rare. I use alot of Apple Barrel colors but will snag any brand if the color's right. At 99 cents a bottle, cost is never an issue.

I like Createx and Parma Fascolor. I find it is consistent between colors and from bottle to bottle, has finer pigments and flow enhancers to retard drying on the needle and tip, and is ready to use. They come in plenty of colors and I can easily mix any color I want, but don''t have. It goes such a long way that cost of paint per lure is really insignificant when I look at the time and other components and materials that go into each bait; and at the end of the day it is simply one thing less I have to think about because of its predictable total performance with a batch of lures. I experimented with a lot of different water-base paints when I first began airbrushing, and gradually ended up using nothing but the Createx and Parma. For my time and use, it's the way to go.

Dean

Ok.. this is what I've learned from roaming around the airbrush sites.

To reduce the cheaper paints and even the better ones use Windex. The cheaper paints are coarser so what you do is go down to the paint store and pick up a paper screen filter. Sometimes they just give them away free. You want the one that has a screen in it. They also sell ones that are all screen and you can cut them up and place them on the top of your paint bottle and then screw the top back on. Then when you squeeze out your paint it is already filtered. Womens hose :o can also be used but I find it is too restricting of paint flow. The Windex evaporates much better than water and leaves a nice finish. Don't forget to back flow between colors to clean out brush.

Hope this helps.:wink::wink:

Reducing = thinning. Some use Windex instead of water. Createx sells 4011 Reducer, which has the same function. I THINK back flow is blocking off the tip of the brush and running water or Windex through it so the syphon hole on the brush is cleaned. It's a quick and dirty way to clean the brush between paint colors (but disassemble it for a thorough cleaning when you're through painting!). Personally, I keep a spray bottle of water handy and use it to clean out the syphon cup, then spray a stream of water directly into the syphon hole while the brush is running, same result.

ok got it, windex to thin. thanks for the tip. now cleaning is a problem for me. normally i just take out the paint, and run water through the hole where the paint was. i take off the nozzle and clean the needle a bit too. i dont relally disassemble, i don't see the point as i get every place where paint flows my way. sometimes when dirty i use a q-tip with rubbing alcohol to clean the nozzle and where the paint is attached. is the siphon hople where the jar of paint is attached?