Jason

Dremel carving

Jason, Merry Christmas and Santa was good to you. I have the regular Dremel, several years old and am not familiar with the Stylus. I have one recommendation for you though. I have found that holding the tool itself was somewhat cumbersome and lacked control, would skip alot. I got the flexible shaft and what a difference with this attachment. Much more comfortable and now have probably 90% control over the tool with way less skips of the bit. It is probably just me, but with a tool screaming at those high RPM's, I felt I needed better control and better results and that is what the flexible shaft has provided. Give it a try, not that expensive and well worth the cost.

Jason

I don't use a dremel but a similar type of thing and I also use a flexible shaft which you hold just like a pen, loads more control and makes fine work a piece of cake. Not sure about wood carving bits though, there are lots of grinding/drilling and etching attachments but I must admit I ain't seen any woodcarving attachments but I'm sure somewhere someone makes em.

philB

I use the fine and course sanding drums to shape my baits with a Dremel tool. You can buy replacements to fit over the rubber core drums when you have worn the old ones down. I start with course then go to fine and finish up with regular sandpaper. The flexible shaft attachment for the Dremel tool is well worth the costs to buy it, gives you pinpoint control without the bulk and weight of holding the Dremel tool in your hand.

Look up Kutzall burrs, it's one of the best bits for carving. Carbide burrs are good too in some applications.

As advice a flex cord helps a lot. Holding the tool like a pencil works better for carving then a pistol grip. Pistol grips are more suited to drilling, grinding and for precision u'd need two hands to handle it. Not to mention a sore wrist after awhile.

Just be careful when using that tool, no loose clothings and take it slow, let the high speed rotation do the work & don't force the bits. A walking bit not only destroys your carving, you might suffer some damage too.

After cutting a blank on my scroll saw, I use a Dremel for everything else except final hand sanding, including rounding the edges (fine ?120? grit sanding drum), drilling holes for ballast and recessed eyes (high speed cutters), drilling holes for hook hangers (a non-dremel set of small bits) and removing clearcoat from the hangers after the bait is finished (a piece of ss wire chucked in the Dremel). In addition to the normal 1/8" diameter Dremel attachments, you'll want a collet set so you can chuck in smaller tools. Whether I use the Dremel on crankbaits or not, I end up using it almost every day for something around the house. Another great Dremel attachment is the fiber reinforced cutting wheels. Cuts steel almost like butter.

Thanks for the help with the link Red! And great link RJ! The bits are really affordable, and look like they would last quite awhile. I will have to pick some up. I'm excited to see what I can do with it. I'm glad to hear you use it as much as you do Bob. I think it might make the lure carving process a lil' smoother. There is going to be alot of scrap wood being used soon. I will post up a lure when I finish one up. thanks for all your help.

Jason and others; I need to replace my dremel and was thinking about the stylus since its cordless. It is advertised as being ergonomic. However, the case made for the flex tube seems compelling.

Will the stylus adapt to the flex attachment and have enough power to drive it? Would "you" leave it in the docking station while in use with flex att.? I know jeweler's typically use a flex att. with a foredom rotary for fine work.

Happy Holidays and Glad this site is back!

ken

Silver, if you look up a few posts, Red helped me with a link of a pic of the Stylus. You can see you almost hold it like a pencil. The rpm's go from 5,000-25,000. So you could compare what you have. It seems to have the same chuck as a standard dremel, so I would imagine you could use the flex adapter. I just unwrapped it so I haven't had the time to use it yet. I will post up soon on it's control.