the greek

Another thru wire method

I make mostly saltwater baits for Striped Bass but I don't see why this wouldn't work on smaller baits.

I use annealed s/s wire .051 that comes on a roll. My bait is drilled through with an 1/8" hole from nose to tail. I do my through drilling on the lathe. The belly hole is 1/4" and intersects the other hole.

wire_001.jpg

I make a long nose loop.

wire_004.jpg

I have a hook made from stiff welding wire that I insert in the belly hole. I run the wire though the bait and the hook.

wire_007.jpg

I insert something to keep the nose loop from pulling through, in this case I used a small allen key. Then grab the hook with a pair of pliers and pull the wire out for you belly hook hanger.

wire_010.jpg

I then mark where I want the wire to end up inside the bait and cut wire there.

wire_011.jpg

Then with a pair of round jaw pliers I run the wire back through the bait and clean up the belly hanger and tail loop with the round jaw pliers.

wire_012.jpg

Then epoxy your nose loop, belly hanger, and tail loop. I have not had one pull out yet although I have not had anything of sustantial size on a bait done this way.

This is what I end up with.wire_013.jpg

I hope this helps.