hoosier1

Need a little info

I am new to painting and re-painting of hardbaits. I have a Paasche VL that I am still trying to get familiar with. I guess my questions are:

1. What is the best primer to use for plastic and wood baits.

2. What is the best type of paint to use.

3. What is the best sealer to use.

4. Ehat is the best way to prepare the bait in general.

I have done a few baits that turned out OK, but would like to know the best way. I also would like to know the best way to do the eyes? I have the sticky eyes, but they don't seem to secure themselves to the bait.

Any help on this matter would be very appreciated!

Best paint, best primer, and best sealer are a matter of opinion, but many here use Createx paints. For sealer, probably the two most common are Devcon2 which is an expoxy glue available at Walmart, and Envirotex, which is also widely available.

I paint with enamels so others will be better able to advise you on where to find the best deals on Createx paints. If you look on this board you'll notice some fine work done with Createx.

There are different primers available for wood and plastic. I believe Krylon makes a primer designed specifically for plastics. I can't think of the name of it right now, but I use it for both wood and plastic and have had good luck with it.

eyes. After seeing half my sticky eyes come unglued 2 mins after applying clearcoat, I started drilling recessed eye pockets. I use a Dremel and a high speed cutter cylinder. I even do this when repainting plastic baits, if not a recess at least creating a flat spot in the plastic for the eyes to sit flat. I prefer 3D eyes but others paint eyes using homebrew applicators or "eye dotter" foam sticks you can get at staminainc.com. I don't know of any way to make sticky eyes adhere to fresh paint on a curved surface.