ernel

Pin holes in devcon

I put devcon 2 ton on as a base/sealer to a balsa lure I am making. After applying the white bottom coat, I noticed pin holes showing through the tail section of the lure. There are actually two coats of devcon on the lure before the first coat of paint was applyed. How does the lure still have holes after being sealed with two coats of devcon?

Thanks,

Eric

Although it looked sealed it wasn't. The balsa baits I have made I did the following. I like to thin the devcon (5 min) with acetone and then brush it on. It soaks in quick and I will repeat. Then I wait for about ten minutes and then sand lightly and coat with devcon. Usually don't get any bubbles at this point.

It's hard to avoid pinholes. I like to first seal the bait with sanding sealer...two or three dips, let dry. Then if you want to use the Devcon next that's fine, put a coat of it on full strength, let dry. If you get a couple pin holes just fill them up with some plaster, let dry, sand smooth, then go to paint.

jed v.

All woods have trapped air in them ernel, some worse than others. Hard maple will hardly ever bubble while other more porous woods like poplar and WRC tend to bubble some. One thing that helps is to keep the drying temperature about 75F. If you get into the 80 and above range the wood wants to expand and out comes the air creating bubbles.

RM