tad

First Pour Gone Bad, What Was The Problem

My suggestion is to ditch the pan, get a pyrex cup and a cheap Wal-mart microwave. It will cook your plastic faster and easier. Your total cost for a pyrex and microwave is probably $45.

Also, the plastic will start in a milk color and consistancy, during cooking it will thicken up to a thick gel, then it will turn to a clear liquid the consistancy of a thick pancake syrup. Try to cook it without any colrant in it to watch it go through the phases. You can add colorant after it cooks.

Bubble may be caused from not cooking it enough, after it goes through the gel phase and thins out, the bubbles will cook out. I try not to mix during this gel phase as it will likely trap more bubbles. I try to stir before and after it gels.

Also, if you are using a wooden stir stick, it will likely add bubbles. Use a spoon or a knife or something metal.

Hope that helps. Keep at it and you will master it in no time.

Congrats...sounds like you just burned your first cup of plastic. Don't worry, it happens. If your using a pan and a burner it takes longer to heat. Use a medium setting and keep stiring. You will notice how the plastic changes as you stir. Best bet is to get a cheap micro and a Pyrex cup.....I've managed to burn it myself in a micro too..................

post_new.gifTr21x

I just followed one of the tutorials on this site for making two part plaster molds. The only thing I added was air release holes at the end of the curly tail. I drilled small holes right through the sides of both halves of the mold at the end of the tails. I don't have a means of posting pictures, sorry.