maximusgunn

Stripping paint off old cranks?

I did a search and couldn't find any info on stripping paint off of old cranks.

I am trying to strip the paint off a few normans matte finished, and other ones as well.

I was wondering if I used MEK do I need to dip the bait in it or let it soak in it, and for how long. I tried just wiping some MEK on and let it set for 30 mins. But it didn't do anything it just evaporated.

If anyone has any ideas or has used it, the help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

JMHO, I'd leave the old finish, sand lightly to kill the shine then give it a white color basecoat and the new color. Commercial crankbait finishes generally weigh less than .02oz, so leaving it in place rarely effects the performance. If there are damaged areas or you want to thin the walls of the bait, I'd remove finish with a sharp knife and sandpaper, not a solvent. I ruined too many diving lips that way :)

Thanks for the help and the thread.

The reason I was wanting to strip the paint which will be done on old cranks as a test, but for the paint scheme I have in mind the light needs to pass through a clear body, so I need to strip it down to the primer then light sand the rest and then buff out the scratches.

Thanks again