bamabass

Gills

How durable? I fold a piece of frisket film (with its backing) and freehand a gill cut at the crease with sissors. You need something that won't absorb paint and that's pliable. I leave the backing on when I shoot through it. It will last until clogged with paint.

Craft stores and craft sections of stores like Wal-mart, sell both blank stencil material by the sheet (Plaid is a brand name) and stencil cutters, or stencil cutter/wood-burner combos. With practice and imagination, you'll be on your way. Especially with water-base paints, these stencils will last years.

Dean

I cut out a section of plastic from a milk jug. I pick the size of gill I want and mark with a circle template or a colorado blade works too. Cut it out with an exacto knife and you have a stencil that will last a long time. It can be wiped down with Windex when you are done.

What i'm curently working on....Making of stencils that would fit the 3d shape of the lure, enclosing it like in a box, that fits perfect, just like tights on ur leg, after that cut the shapes u want to make on ur lures... U can use whatever is pliable, and bendable, that won't bend to much . I haven't finished a stencil yet, but i tryed to make one, and it's possible. U can use thick alu foil for example...u can use the adhesive foil most of us guys use on theyr baits, and that many other guys use for isolation on air ducts..... If u bend it, and glue like 3 pieces one on top of the other, u can pres them onto the lure really easyl, and after that start cutting whatever u'r imagination leades u to.

U just need to put ur mind up to how to make the shapes simetrical...that ain't hard either, but whatever fits whoever makes his own lures.

Bamabass- There is a small metal drafting template that has a smooth curved 'C' shape the works great for gills. I bought mine at Michael's. It's pliable enough to fit the shape of the lure and dries paint will peel right off. It has lasted forever.

The stincils I make are cut out of the plastic resealable lids that come on coffee cans. They're free, and incredably resistant to solvents.

Quick20XD

Savacs: That's an idea I've been playing with in my head, but I haven't had the time to fully develop, so here's my thoughts in hopes it helps you develop yours: Like you I concieved a box, but using clear plastic material used in vaccuum forming. You could use your airbrush compressor backwards to create the vaccuum. The stencil would then be a perfect half image of a baits contours once cut...

Hope this helps somebody, and keep me updated on developments Please!

Clemmy

Bamabass- There is a small metal drafting template that has a smooth curved 'C' shape the works great for gills. I bought mine at Michael's. It's pliable enough to fit the shape of the lure and dries paint will peel right off. It has lasted forever.

The stincils I make are cut out of the plastic resealable lids that come on coffee cans. They're free, and incredably resistant to solvents.

Quick20XD

Thats too funny...I picked one of those templates not too long ago.It also has a series of holes in it too right?

Here is a jig I made and had good success with. I don't have a pic of the gill template, but you should be able to get an idea as to how it works. The mesh is replaced with a piece of plastic from a paper binder sleve. The gills or whatever else you want to paint is cut into the plastic. The plastic has a little slack, so when the top of the jig is down, the plastic wraps around the bait just enough to create a seal. Mark the location of each bait, keep it in the same spot for each bait of the same type and paint.The plastic cleans up well and can be used over and over. The bait is attached to a dowl and nail holder and slides into a hole in the side of the jig allowing two hands free for painting.

pics 001.jpg

pics 002.jpg

pics 001.jpg

pics 002.jpg

pics 001.jpg

pics 002.jpg

pics 001.jpg

pics 002.jpg

pics 001.jpg

pics 002.jpg

pics 001.jpg

pics 002.jpg

pics 001.jpg

pics 002.jpg

pics 001.jpg

pics 002.jpg

1820_thumb.attach

1821_thumb.attach

Well done Joe!!

For you guys wanting to try and build a stencil that fits the bait, some time ago someone here was talking about using the "dip it" rubber coating that you buy for coating tool handles to make a stencil. I have no idea if it works but thought I would toss the idea out.

I very seldom use stencil material but when I do I use a semi thick cardboard material like that used to cereal boxes. I tried a stencil burner and didn't catch on to it.

jed