Emmett

Line Tie Question

You can use any wire that you can accurately twist and bend. Various methods exist, here's mine: I use .040 soft brass or .032 soft stainless steel wire from mcmasters.com. The soft wire is easier to bend and easier to tune but will stand up to bass fishing. I twist up the line tie using a drill bit clamped in a vise and some visegrips to twist the wire, trimming off the untwisted tag ends. I make mine about 1.5" long so I can do the bends easier and so it's sure to be long enough. Bend the tie 90 deg slightly below the eye. You want a gap between the eye and the 90 deg bend equal to the thickness of your Lexan. Fit the tie through a hole drilled in the Lexan that is just large enough for a friction fit. To finish it off, cut a small slot in the center back of the Lexan bill and bend the wire up and back over the lip, cutting off any excess with a Dremel cutting wheel. Make sure your lip slot/hole is large enough for the wired lip. If it's too tight, it will be impossible to adjust the bill left/right to get it centered.