lurerookie

SS Hangers vs. Handmade

I have been using SS screw eyes purchased from Jann's of various size to fit the particular lure. I fit them in a pilot hole filled with Devcon 5 min. The lures are finished with 2 ton that I am sure to let ride up a bit onto the hanger/tie. I have noticed that many on the site make their own out of SS wire. I fish freshwater and toothy critters are seldom found on my line, bass seldom more than 5 lbs. Is there any reason that I would need to go the route of making my own at this point? The cost isn't much of an issue because of the small volume I am making and I am really trying to limit valiability in my creations as much as possible, which is one of the reasons I went with the screws.

Thanks

for me I prefer the bigger thread bite of a hand made hook hanger. The commercial screw eyes don't seem to have enough to grab with inside the lure. Making your own also gives you the freedom to custom sizes and the option to make it a complete through wire bait. There used to be a tutorial concerning making your own hangers. I use a small hook like the ones used to hang plants with and put it in my drill, cut a length of wire and loop over the hook. I hold the two tag ends with a pair of pliers and run the drill on low speed till it twists up. Its easier than I made it sound.

I'm sure what you're doing is fine for hardwood baits but I strongly prefer handwounds. It's a quality and performance thing for me:

- The thin wire makes it easy to install split rings.

- You can custom size the loops and can make line ties from soft ss wire or brass for "hunting" action and easier lure tuning.

- You can make them the exact length you need.

- They have much more internal glue surface for anchoring.

It takes about 20 mins to wind the screws for 4 lures, at nominal cost. As a fisherman, I had factory wood lures fail when the regular screws back out, leak, etc. When I started hobby building, I decided handwounds were a way to fix that, so it was an easy decision.