gpw

Fluid Bed Air Source

What type of air supply are any of you using for fluid beds you have made yourself? I would like to be able to use an aquarium-type air pump, but would like to know how much psi is required to move the powder properly in bed that is 3'' in dia. by 4'' in height. Also if anyone would like to share what brand product and model # you prefer? Thanks.

Welcome aboard GPW. An aquarium air pump is all that is needed for your fluid bed air source. As far as how much pressure is required to float the powder, I couldn't tell ya, but it isn't much. You must have a pet$*#$*#$*#$*# type valve at the inlet of the bed to be able to control the amount of air entering the bed. Once you are up and running, set the air pressure so that you do not have any volcanoing or bubbles, if you do it is too much air. The powder must just be even across the top or you will have more all over your room than in the cup. Another recommendation is to have an exhaust fan very near your fluid bed. You will get a lot of hits on this thread as there are some very knowledgable guys here using fluid beds. Good Luck, and keep a shop vac handy.

theres a local company here that builds machinery for other businesses they build a huge fluid bed for a company and had some left over i got it from them. full sheets are pretty expensive i have a friend that works in powder coating up in nashville and only suppliers he has are around $260 for a 2 x 3 sheet