davycrockett

Finishing wire loops on through wire baits

I am trying some new designs of topwater musky baits. I was wondering how do you finish the final loop after the wire is ran through the bait. The first loop (startig with a straight wire shaft) is no problem as I have room to twist the loop. After the wire is through the bait I have a heck of atime getting a nice loop that isn't 2" from the back of the bait. How do I get this loop bent as close to the bait as possible? I am hand bending with .051 ss wire. Does anyone use a Boggs or Hagens wire former to do this? I wondered if a wire forming tool would allow enough clearance for a big bait to accuratley form the 2nd loop. Thanks!

You are welcome, the striper guys build some great stuff and there are some very talented builders in their group. There is much many of us here could learn from them...me included.

RM

And some of those striper guys are learning from you guys too :wink:

I do the same as shown in those how toos. Just takes a little practice. The only difference is that I use a pair of wire cutters to cut the wire rather than a dremmil.

Andrew

Screw eyes are definitely easier to install, however they will not stand up as well as thru-wire. This will depend some on the type of wood you are using. For lighter woods, like cedar, a screw eye may not hold up real well against a large fish, especially in fast current. In hardwoods (maple, birch), screw eyes, when installed with epoxy on the threads will do fine.

Andrew