Jason

Devcon 2 ton dry time

I used Devcon 2 ton for the first time on my newest lure. I applied it by brush without thinning it. It wasn't a really thick or thin coat, but it has been two days and it's still tacky. Is this normal? It says 12 hour cure time on the package, that's why I'm curious. I have it drying at 66 degrees. Thanks for any help.

Jason, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if it is still tacky that means you probably did not mix it thoroughly or long enough.

Normally, 12 hours is more than enough. When I first started using the stuff, I had cases where I'd have tacky spots on the bait, and this was the reason.

You can put another coat over that coat to correct the problem.

I have had Devcon retain a tackiness for a few days after application myself. Usually this is a sign of insufficient mixing and or cold cure temps.

Bring your curing temps up into the mid to high 80 deg range and this should help your situation.

One way to do this is to put a low wattage light bulb (40-60) into a box with you lures. Be sure to monitor the temps so that you do not create a fire hazzard by over heating.

Jason,

When mixing, try to do it on a flat surface and draw the edges of the epoxy to the center and mix and then draw it in and mix again. Aluminum foil (heave duty) works good for me. Don't use wooden objects to mix. After the epoxy gets a little cloudy when mixing, it will get clear then put it on. I use a wire bent at a right angle to mix with.

Here is a tutorial that Larry Shanker from Legendary Lures made up for me. I follwed it except for the thinning and glitter. Looks like my mixing was off. I figured I'd post this for anyone who is new to Devcon like myself.

Epoxy tutorial:

Materials list:

Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy glue

Lure or decoy.

Toothpicks

Cheap kids paint brushes

Isopropol alcohol

Micro glitter

Aluminum beverage can.

Instructions:

- Get everything ready before mixing the epoxy.

- Get Devcon (brand) 5 minute epoxy. Walmart has it in the paint dept.

Looks like a syringe with two tubes.

- Crush a pop or beer can. The bottom of the can hold about the right

amount for a large lure or small decoy. User alcohol to remove the ink.

There's a printed stamp of some kind.

- Get some micro glitter. The same folks who make vinyl jig paint have

little bottles of glitter.

- Use kids' paint brushes. The cheapest ones you can find. You might

need to mash the metal collar so the bristles won't come out. You could

also use the craft chenilles. They look like giant pipe cleaners. Cut

them in half. Fold the half in half and twist it. Use the folded end as

a brush. Pull out any loose fibers.

- Pour some isopropal alcohol into the alcohol bottle's cap.

- Use a pair of needle nose visegrips to hold the lure. It is more

comfortable and yuor hand won't go to sleep.

- Use a toothpick for a stirrer.

- Okay, here we go: Squeeze out the epoxy into the pop can's bottom,

about half full.

- Stir it up.

- Add some alcohol from the cap. Stir it up. It will get milky.

- Add some glitter and stir it up. It should start to clear up.

- Start gooping the epoxy onto the lure. Get it in the tight places

first. Cover the rest of the lure. Rotate as you work and watch out for

dripping. You have to work FAST.

- Keep rotating the lure. The glitter helps you see the epoxy moving.

- Keep an eye out for bubble. These will occur whereever the wood gain

is open. Around drilled holes, eye sockets, slots for fins, etc.

Repair the bubbles by breaking them and adding more epoxy.

- Keep an eye out for bare spots. Goop on more epoxy and let it smooth

out and merge with the other epoxy.

- Use your stirrer or brush and touch the remaining epoxy in the can's

bottom. If it is starting to set up, stop doing any touching to the

lure.

- Keep rotating the lure slowly.

- When you can lightly touch the lure with the back of a finger without

sticking (5 or 6 minutes), Hang the lure so it can cure for several

hours or overnight.

Jason, you wisely did not follow this tutorial in detail.

For starters, 5-minute epoxy has less working time than 2-ton and will eventually yellow. I have used a single drop of denatured alcohol to thin epoxy, but it's probably unnecessary and using any more could create problems. Putting your finger on a bait to test tackiness isn't a good idea, because you'll leave a partial fingerprint on it. Just put the bait on a drying wheel and let it stay there overnight.

One thing not included is that flashing the lure with a hairdryer on low (and not too close), once the epoxy is applied, will help even out the finish and help get rid of bubbles.

That's a good idea. I will give it a shot. I have done some other reading on Devcon, and have heard the 5 min. yellows and is hard to work with so I went with the Devcon 2 ton. I did make the mistake of touching it with my finger and did leave a small partial print that ended up smoothing out thank goodness. I must say I do like working with the 2 ton. It goes on with a brush fairly well, and smooths out level with a lil' turning. We will see how my second coat turns out.

One more tip: Those 1 oz or 2 oz plastic containers that are used for to-go salad dressing or ketchup make great little mixing cups. You can buy them at any restaurant supply store for around $5 for 250.

One of my problems starting out was that I was mixing in too large a cup. The smaller containers make it easier.

Jason,

Sorry to hear you are having topcoat issues, lord knows we all have had them. I have to agree with Scoop on everything he has posted. I have learned some incredible things from this site which has allowed me to produce some wonderful baits that friends are all clamoring for.

My two cents (probably worth less), I use the wax coated paper plates to mix my Devcon 30 min. I use a straighten paperclip. Depending on the size of the bait, I hardly mix more than an amount the size of a quarter after squeezed on to the plate.

I am covering bombers, windcheaters, yo-zuri

this may be redundant stuff since I read this thread fast.

Jason; If you have a medical supply store nearby, you may be able to get some small dose cups (about the size of the cup on pepto bismol). Perfect size and kinda cheap.

Advice from Bob P. included to only mix enough for 2 lures since you have about 7 min. to slop it on. Also, temp. has to be above 70 F.

Hows the cordless dremel working?

sdr

Thanks for all the info guys! I applied a second coat today. I made sure I mixed it really well, and it defenitely had a different texture to it. My spread time was alot shorter. Thanks Scoop for the hair dryer idea! The second coat seemed to get tacky alot faster, and didn't want to level out. I hit it with the hair dryer and it smoothed out really nice! Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am going to grab some of those small plastic cups. I have a feeling they will really help me get a good mix. My next step will be to make a lure rotater for drying. I was sitting in front of the computer hand turning my lure for an hour and a half :lol:

Oh and Silverdoctor, the Dremel Stylus is working out great! It really helped me cut down on carving time, and I'm experimenting with different bits to see what I can do with detail. It is so comfortable to use. It fit's in the hand like a pencil, much like people try to achieve with the flexible adapter. I am very excited to make more with the dremel, just to see what I can do. Thanks again for all the help guys! I really appreciate it. I will post pictures of the lure I am working on hopefully when it's done tommorow!

Come on, Skeeter. If I didn't listen to you and Tally and some others here, I wouldn't know nothing. (BTW, sorry I never got back to you about those baits last summer. Between some unexpected expenses and high

gas prices, my finances got real tight.)

Also, Jason, I don't ever try to cover more than one lure at a time with a mixture of Devcon. I'm sure I waste more of the stuff that way, but IMO, just not worth the chance of messing up a lure you've poured time and energy into painting and/or carving.

I posted this once before in the quick tips sticky, but perhaps it got zapped in the reset. Instead of souffle cups or medicine containers, I use silicone muffin/candy pan/molds. You can cut one mini muffin mold into like 12 cups. After you use a cup, just let the epoxy dry, when hard you can pop it right out of the flexible bowl.

Another couple of epoxy tips: 1)never use a wood stir stick, as it will increase the number of bubbles - and- 2)what ever type of mixing container you use, mix well....then pour into a new container/surface and mix a little more. The corners/top liquid edges never seem to get a good mix, at least not in the correct resin/hardener ratio, thus leading to yellowing/durability/drying issues

Clemmy