Tally

Thanks LP!!!

Just wanted to take a minute and thank LP and to show (show off) just what can be learned from this site and its members. :yay:

By now you all are aware that LP carved a lure for me to mold that was named LaPicky. I had so much fun not only figuring that bait out and molding it, but painting a bait with details just lets you open your imagination to the fullest. Since then, I had an idea for another bait and asked LP to carve it for me. The answer I received was :nuhuh: NO....., I thought what did I do to make this guy mad? Actually it turned out that he wasn't mad but told me I needed to learn how to carve and he thought I was capable of doing so.....Little did LP know, I knew nothing about carving or design, which lead to many conversations and questions. LaPala's patience were getting very thin as my questions still kept coming.:eek:

Though I am not a master carver and may never get there, thanks LP!!!! :yay:

Here is a sneak preview of "Daddy T" (which LP named). It is in the "sealed" stage and I hope to have it painted and in the gallery by the end of the week. Don't be to harsh (LP) this is my first attemp at carving.

craw_sealed2.jpg

craw_sealed2.jpg

craw_sealed2.jpg

craw_sealed2.jpg

craw_sealed2.jpg

craw_sealed2.jpg

craw_sealed2.jpg

craw_sealed2.jpg

1828_thumb.attach

:eek: Only one cut to report so far and it was not a bad one that did not cause any stains. Thanks for the compliments, I am pretty excited about this bait. Don't know that I passed his class Skeeter, but I could rate him as a teacher as well;)

Cheese, the goal was to always mold this bait, but I am a few trials away from that point. I am enjoying the learning curve of carving but learning from mistakes is the only method I have. If I could con LP to making a trip to the U.S., I might be a better student.

Keep your pants on boys, the paint is scheduled for this week if all goes well.

Tally

You are really off to a great start. :yay: You have some impressive detail in there already for the first! Keep up the great work. It is cool to see you so motivated to learn. Please post up painted pics when you get them. I'm interested to see what color pattern you go with. What type of wood did you use by the way?

Thanks guys......this old dog just wants to make some new, unique and good baits. I have had this idea for a long time and I am very happy LP made me learn this art. I will let you know when it is in the gallery.

The wood I used is cedar but it is harder than hell to carve. Everyone advised me to use basswood but I am pretty hard headed. The cedar is soft and the grain is very hard and I ruined plenty of stock learning to carve because of the grain.

Tally

You're welcome Tally old dog. But ya loose that ceder for carvings, u're a stubborn old dog too :D

Carving looks okay for a 1st try, however the left/right symmetry is off, have u forgotten the template lessons?

Although the lessons did wear me thin (on patience), I'm glad at least someone is making the effort towards an unlimited horizon in carved lures. Anyone who can bare with a teacher with acid tongue is welcome to bug me for lessons LOL. Tally old boy does shine in that department :D

:huh: wow!!! I have had my ears closed waiting for the carving master to rip me a new one. Though his comments are nice, I received his true thoughts one on one. I have a long way to go to meet the master's standards:worship:

Jason.....

That line you see is a line I always have and use. I rip the wood on a table saw, paint both sides red and wood glue them back together. The glue is strong and it will not come apart. I use this to try and keep me centered. When the 2 pieces are glued together, the red line is there no matter how deep I cut.

Tally