H2Fishing

Shaky head type jigs out of Do-It F-ball mold

For those who have the DO-IT Football Jig mold in 1/4-1/2 oz.

I was messing around at the house the other night and figured out a way to make shaky head type jigs with the do-it football mold and not have to modify the mold. Since these are the type of heads I use when I fish the shaky head I thought I should try and come up with a way to use this mold but I didn't want to modify it because I also use football jigs.

I pour all mine in the 1/4 oz. cavity. Before I pour I slide a skirt collar onto the hook and move it up about 1/8 inch or so from the 90 degree bend of the hook. Then I use a hitchhiker and clip it on the hook right at the bend. When laid in the weed guard groove it will fit perfect and the mold will still close all the way. Insert a nail into the hitchhiker to keep lead from filling it in. I use a finish type nail that I cut the little rounded head off of so that it also fits perfectly in the weed guard slot. The rubber collar conforms to the cavity and keeps any lead from entering the collar. When you pour the lead the collar won't melt. You can see a little burning but it doesn't melt it enough to hurt it. After you have poured just slide the collar back off of the hook over the barb. I played around with the location of the skirt collar until I got it where it would just pour the head and no collar. When I broke the sprue off of the jigs I noticed that there was some play in the lead. But I fixed this problem when I clear coated with Devcon. If you get the devcon on the hook and the head it will bond it together and hold it in place. I know this is a little time consuming to do each time but I only do it for my self and a couple of buddies so it provids something new to do when making baits.

I think they turned out pretty good. I'll get some pics up as soon as I have a chance to take some. I don't know what the heads weigh now without the collar, my guess is they are somewhere around 3/16 which is pretty close to 1/8 that I was using before.

Thanks

Chris

that is a brilliant idea.

My buddy and I are currently working on a idea for these hitch hikers and a poison mold or any other mold with weedguards for shakey heads. Once done I will post up some pics too.

Like Jig said, this board is awsome because of all the ideas people come up with and the willingness to help.

I've got the poison tail mold myself and before I got my football mold I had already had some poison jigs poured but not painted. I took the hitchhiker and cut the clip part off of it. Once I had painted the jigs as I clear coated them I just stuck the hitchhiker in the weedguard hole. When the epoxy dries it holds the hitchhiker in place. I haven't tried putting the hitchhiker in the mold yet, but I would imagine it would work that way also.

I did something like this too with their 1/8th ounce arky jig mold. I filed off the insert pin for the weedguard so that it was flat with the edge of the jig (no cavity). Then I took that pin and drilled a hole right down the center of that pin (the smallest bit I have). Now clip a piece of like .030 wire and bend a little hook on the end. Slip that wire into the hole you drilled in the insert pin so that the hook gets cast into the head. Cast the head. Now you have a head with a wire prong sticking out of it. Now you can do whatever you want for the worm head. If you wanted, you could twist up the pigtail like a hitch-hiker. I tried zig-zags, pigtails, etc. Honestly, a straight wire with a tiny 135 degree hook on the end is super easy to do and works just as well as the other stuff. I also modified this mold to take a 3/0 60 degree flat eye hook.

What is the difference/benefit of molding the wire or hitch hiker into the jig as opposed to attaching the hitch hiker to the hook eye? Thanks, Pop

I worry that the hitch hiker will nick my line when it is attached to the eye of the hook. It hasn't happened yet, but I think it is only a matter of time....

Thanks for the info. Brilliant! I just poured a bunch using your method. Works great. I used some stainless wire for the screw lock. Put a small nail in my cordless drill. Shoved the wire in between the chuck and the nail and activated the drill. Turned it three or four turns and presto. Makes a great screw lock. You can make various diameters by using diffent sized nails. Nothing holds plastic better than a screw lock. You can turn out 50 scew locks in no time. The time consuming part is getting everything lined up in the mold.

If that post is directed toward me, I put a couple pics in the jig gallery under shaky head jigs. You can see them there.

Cool. Viewed the football head in the gallery. Thanks so much for sharing. Never poured myself but have been 'toying' with the idea. You may be my inspiration to buy a mold and get started. Getting tired of paying $5 for 5 Spot Removers.

I was the same way when I bought this mold. I was tired of loosing 3 or 4 heads a trip and decided to find a way to make my own. If you decide to jump into it, hold on because you won't want to stop. Making your own baits is fun but catching fish on your own baits is something to experience. Good Luck.