dtrs5kprs

shakey mold vs do-it "eakins" mold

If this has been previously posted, my apologies.

If you have not already noticed, the new do-it shakey mold is basically the same as the round head weedless (Eakins type) mold series. Assuming you want to use a flat eye hook and not the light wire Mustad 60 deg hooks, you can use your Eakins type mold to make shakey heads.

Just seal the ends of a few weedguards (on the side of your pot) and insert them so one of the ends is more or less flush with the outside of the jig cavity (far enough in to fill the weedguard channel, but not far enough to get molded into the bait). Pour your cavity, and when you pull the head the position of the weedguard should have left a tiny lump of lead where the guard would normally be molded in. If you are fancy, hit it with a file, if not, just thread on your worm and fish it. That will let you make the common shakey head sizes if you already own the Eakins type mold series.

Sim,

Do-it makes 3 different round head fiber guard molds in that series. Features an FG30 size guard, Mustad or Gammie flat eye light wire hooks, and a collar plus barb on the shank. Would have to dig thru my molds or catalogs for the exact number. I bought the 2 smaller sizes (thru 3/8 or 7/16) from Barlows a couple of years ago. It is not the smaller round head weedless mold that uses the lighter guards and crappie size hooks.

With the guard molded or glued in the head is basically like the Jewel Eakins jig, or locally in the Ozarks "little brown jigs". Without the guard the head looks like the one cast from the new Shakey mold, or the Bite-Me Ball heads.