MonsterMusky

What would you do ?

I have an idea for an origional lure and have buit a proto type that works good. It's just a combination of old styles but I've never seen it done before. I'm not talking about different sizes, shapes , colors ect... it actually has different action, style.

Do you just put it out, and hope no one copies your idea/design ?

Or is it worth copywriting ect....?

Or do you keep it for personal use and out fish everyone ? lol..

First of all I'm not looking to get rich or even close to it, but it would be nice to get credit for the design, before a hundred other guys coppy your stuff and just add thier little modifications ect...

P.S. I'm to broke to do anything anyway.

Well if your broke, and don't want anyone to copy your design, then never show another soul. If you just want to fish it, then fish it. If you are to afraid of people stealing your design then wrap your lure with foil while taking it out on the water. Unwrap it when you know nobody is looking, then cast it hoping you never catch a world record fish on it and have to take a photo of the lure you caught it on. Then sleep with it under your pillow.

Me, I would post a picture up on TU and be proud of your creation.

I also noticed you said "It's just a combination of old styles but I've never seen it done before." ...then you said.."but it would be nice to get credit for the design, before a hundred other guys coppy your stuff and just add thier little modifications ect..."

Soooooo didn't you get your design from taking someone elses design, and adding your own mod etc...?

I didn't mean to offend anyone with that statment, because YES I have modified many other designs as well. I would love to know the origional designers of all the classics, crankbaits, spinners, jerks ect...because they truly do deserve the credit, could you imagine those guys copywrited back in the day ? I personally don't think there are any 100 % origional lures left to be made, but you never know.

Maybe it's nothing anyway I have yet to give it a good go and it's ice here in Canada finally, so I'll catch a few fish in the spring first before I do anything.

By the way I respect all the custom builders on this site because I've learned alot from you, I was mostly talking about big companies getting ideas from us little guys and mass producing plastic junk.

Well if your broke, and don't want anyone to copy your design, then never show another soul. If you just want to fish it, then fish it. If you are to afraid of people stealing your design then wrap your lure with foil while taking it out on the water. Unwrap it when you know nobody is looking, then cast it hoping you never catch a world record fish on it and have to take a photo of the lure you caught it on. Then sleep with it under your pillow.

Me, I would post a picture up on TU and be proud of your creation.

I also noticed you said "It's just a combination of old styles but I've never seen it done before." ...then you said.."but it would be nice to get credit for the design, before a hundred other guys coppy your stuff and just add thier little modifications ect..."

Soooooo didn't you get your design from taking someone elses design, and adding your own mod etc...?

Don't give the guy a hard time. lol

Don't all baits contain some portion of other baits?

How many ways has the lowly worm been done?

I design almost all the baits I sell. I don't have a zillion dollars to patent them; so why worry about it? Do the mail thing. I also started a website which can be time and date tracked(don't know if that means anything but it won't hurt).

www.novalures.com

I apalogize if I came off like an ass, wich I did. :o I know the whole patent process can be very expensive and timely. I do not want to discourage you from looking into it though. I have heard of the whole mail time line idea, but not sure if it holds up in court. :? If you do have a truly original idea then you could try to patent it. If that is too expensive, then I suggest either using it to your advantage in tournements, or making many more and selling them locally. Either way you will get some satisfaction out of your original idea. So best of luck in what ever way you go, and sorry for being such a jerk at first. :cry:

No worries Jason I understood what you were saying. I'm sure some other guys on here have thought about it before to, so I was just trying to see what you would do. I would never care if someone coppied a design for personal use and friends, it would just suck if someone ran with your idea and put you out of buisiness.

Thanks for the tips guys, I guess I need to catch some fish now.lol..

The mail patent does hold up in court my friend is a poor musician and does this all the time with songs that he writes. Any way you might want to try making a few more to make sure that they all have the same action either way good luck in what ever you do. By the way can you send a pic of it. JK but not really

Hey, anybody can sue anybody for anything. But you better have plenty of $$$ for lawyers. The practicality is that it rarely happens no matter how flagrant the infringement unless you have deep pockets like the motion picture industry or major software companies. The only REAL defense is to get your product to market fast and in sufficient quanty to flood the market before the clones arrive. The Chatterbait is a good recent example.

Hey, anybody can sue anybody for anything. But you better have plenty of $$$ for lawyers. The practicality is that it rarely happens no matter how flagrant the infringement unless you have deep pockets like the motion picture industry or major software companies. The only REAL defense is to get your product to market fast and in sufficient quanty to flood the market before the clones arrive. The Chatterbait is a good recent example.

Have to agree with Bob, chatterbait,senko,brush hog all come to mind:huh:

Think Bob has the right idea. Keep it under cover until you are ready to put it out there in sufficient quantity to make some money. At that point, if you've got a good marketing plan, you might make money on it for two seasons.

The other option, imo, is to give a dozen away to some good fishermen that you know. Before long, they are their buddies will be coming to you wanting to buy it and more, and it will become one of those secret lures that a handful of guys in the know covet.