Gloomisman

Whats the trick to tying

I use rod wrapping thread to tie living rubber material on jigs and spinnerbaits. I tie it off, lay layers of rubber on, wrap with thread using a bobbin. I then tie off the thread and coat thread with head cement. I then stretch rubber and cut ends to get the strands to separate. This works great and it doesn't come off. One drawback. It is impossible to change skirts, you just have to cut it off and start over.

Gloomisman: This is what I do, I don't know if this is the right way but I never had a skirt come off. First of all I use thread only. 1. Take a bobbin with thread, and wrap the collar portion of the jig, from bottom to top with one row of thread. You can now put some quick dry super glue on the thread if you want. (I have my skirts preassembled with rubber collars before the next step). 2. Next take the skirt with the rubber collar, and slide it over the barb of the hook, and onto the jig collar with the thread. 3. At this point, you should have the thread at the top of the jig. With the skirt in place hold the top part of the skirt with your left hand (if you are right handed) take your bobbin with the thread, and separate your skirt. Now you will have the thread on the outside of the entire skirt. 4. Start making some tight wraps (3-4) then hold these wraps with you left hand, while sliding the rubber collar off of the jig collar. Finish your wraps down the jig, then go back up the jig with more wraps and tie off with 3 half hitches. 5. Once you tie off, you must apply some thread sealer. I use Devcon 2T. Once dry, you can take the rubber collar off entirely from the hook, and cut and shape your skirt if you want. You can keep on re-using the rubber collars. I like to use collared skirts, because it already has all the strands the way I want them, and they don't fall apart for me while I'm tying (Also I use hydrosilk skirts, which have loose ends). It's really easy. Charkins is right once you tie them on, they don't come off, and the skirts are useless if you want to take them off......Good Luck

Thanks guys, I really appriciate it.

The reason is I found some square rubber material but its in 1 long strand. I will have to cut it to length and then tie it on. I was thinking last night(rare) and I thought of the collar idea. I think that is how I am going to do it because it sounds the easiest. Now I just have to get the string and rubber.

Is 30 bucks that includes shipping reasonable for square rubber material?