clamboni

loose fitting wire and hooks

What do you guys do to tighten up the holes for hooks and wire forms in spinnerbait molds? Just curious if there's a better way to do it. I use 4 or 5 layers of duct tape on each side of the mold to hold the hooks and one piece on each side for the wire forms. The tape is soft enough that the hooks is held in the center and straight and it still allows the mold to close completely. It works great, and I'm getting a much higher percentage of complete pours, but I have to change the tape too often since it doesn't handle the heat well. Anyone else have any other remedies?

dip your wire in your lead pot and get alittle lead on it not much. then it will stay in palce and after you pour it the lead will scrape right off

I tried that, but couldn't get a consistant amount of lead to stick to the wire.

The JB weld, I'm not sure I wanna do that, because if I want to use a different hook for any reason, then I run into the same problem. I think I'm just gonna deal with the duct tape melting after a bunch of pours, it really conforms and holds the hook well. One other thing I was thinking about is a tiny bit of silicone.

What I do is I take a very small piece of unvulcanized silicone rubber (used to make spincast molds with), and lay it in the wire/hook groove. Place the wire and hook in the mold and position it where you want it and wipe the excess away. I know you probably don't have any unvulcanized silicone rubber, but I am sure childrens clay would work the same. The stuff lasts forever for many many pours without having to replace it.

Another member not too long ago posted a tip on this subject which I thought was very good as well. He recommended using a small spring loaded center punch on the edge of the groove for the wire/hook to place a light peen there to hold them. This would be more permanent and repairable if you are too heavy with the hammer.

I don't like the idea of tape, too much clean-up. Good luck!