rhahn427

Air Brushes

Hey guys ....... I'm new to the site and new to lure painting ........ I was wondering what the differences were among air brushes. I bought a couple of cheap ones at Harbour Freight last year and I was wondering what their capabilities were compared to the expensive ones. Also, what aib brush do you really need to paint lures and what are the best ones to buy.

Thanks

Rick

a search of airbrushes on this site will bring you 10 threads that will answer your question.

Sorry but the search function doesn't seem to be working ........ maybe because archive data was lost when the provider went out of business ........ and the other 2 similar threads didn't answer my questions. So I'd appreciate some help ......

rhahn427; punch in "iwata" and look for input from BobP. Several others shared cogent experience on this (these) thread(s). within the last 2-3 weeks.

I started with junk, then progressed to Badger Anthem and recently purchased an Iwata HP B (older model) for detail. Not an expert with any of these, but have muddled by with the Badger. You might consider google on how to articles on using airbrush to augment the info you receive from this site.

regards, sdr

rhahn, it must have been down for a little while. That is how I found 10 results. Anyhow, I'll try to help with your first post.

1) I was wondering what the differences were among air brushes?

Single and double action. Single action is like a spray can, double action you can alter your air and paint intake for fades and stuff like that.

2) Also, what air brush do you really need to paint lures and what are the best ones to buy?

I have used a Badger 150 since college, 20 years ago. Perfect and durable. Once you get further into what you want you can get an illustrators gun or stay put with the Badger.

Rick,

Welcome to this crazy world of lure making and painting.....This is just my opinion so for what its worth.....

My theory has always been with most things I buy is "buy the best" and you will perform better. That is not true with everything, but with airbrushes, IMO it is oh so true. Before I got serious about lure making several years ago, I fooled around with Paasche, Badger and Thayer & Chandler brushes thinking that one was as good as the next...Then my friend turned me on to an Iwata Eclipse with gravity flow and I fell in love with it. I really got the bug because my painting got so much better. I then bought an Iwata Custom Micron SB and never looked back. The detail you can achieve in a short time with this brush is amazing. The cleanup is easier than anything I have used yet. The quality and the adjustment features are awesome.....I am not a rep for Iwata either. lol

I guess the whole point of this long winded statement is that if you can afford it, do yourself a favor and buy an Iwata, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Rod

I got into airbrushing with a $20 single action Badger, then a Paasche VL, a Badger 175, and most recently an Iwata HP-B. The finer the spray pattern and atomization, the more detail you can achieve with less effort. But I've seen astounding results with something as simple as aerosol rattle cans. The brush is just a tool and you have to supply the artistry. There should be a couple of more threads about this at the bottom of this page.

I guess the whole point of this long winded statement is that if you can afford it, do yourself a favor and buy an Iwata, I promise you won't be disappointed.

I second that motion.

Like Bob said though, I've seen some amazing spray can stuff on this site. I also had the pleasure to meet Savacs last summer and do a little fishing with him. Its hard to believe what he can do with a spray can, especially on the bass/walleye sized baits he makes with all the detail. Really beautiful stuff.

Hey Thanks Guys for the info ............ I'll keep my eyes open for a deal on an Iwata ......... I checked their website ....... Guess I'm looking for a HP-BC Plus model because it allows for quick changes between bottles so you can change colors. Any advantages or disadvantages I should be aware of in different models?

It's a matter of personal preference but the HP-B with its top mounted 1/8 oz cup works great for me. I think top feed brushes work a little better than the bottom syphon models, and they're easier to clean. 1/8 oz of paint is enough to fully coat 2 bass baits, so the 1/8 oz seems "just right" to me for crankbait painting. And if you run out of paint, just squirt a little more directly into the cup.