River jigin

Painting jigheads with enamel paint?

I was wondering if any of you all have used this before? I found some of my brothers models and the paint. I tried the paint on a jighead and it seemed fine but it didnt have any gloss. I put in water in my sink and banged it around and it held but I dont know it will in real fishing conditions? Maybe I can put some sort of coating on it to make it shine or last longer?

After you paint your jigs, get some Devcon 2 ton epoxy. Wal-Mart, $2.00 and mix a little together and paint on with a brush. The epoxy will be rock hard after it dries and will give anything that wet, shiny look. If you ask around on here that is what just about everyone uses on jigs and crankbaits as well. A cheap, hard clearcoat for any type of bait.

Just to let you know, nothing is foolproof. Even with the Devcon 2t, if you throw your jig or spinnerbait long enough, it will eventually start chipping. Not much you can do about that. I personally like powder paint, instead of enamel or lacquer paints. Just my personal opinion. By the way get the Devcon 2T 30 minute.

I've used model paint before and it holds up OK. I put 2 coats on my jigs then used some of my wife's clear fingernail gloss. It held up similar to other store bought painted jigs. I use the powder paint now and it holds up better than anything else. I guess how long the paint lasts only matters to the artist, since I typically burn through jigs quickly.