Jump to content

- - - - -

Rebel Pop R modifications

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 basssj



  • TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:42 AM

I have been experimenting with some Plaster of Paris R s trying to get them to do more spitting than blooping. I have tried altering the face by sharpening the edges, thinning the sides of the bait and removing a portion of the rear weight to make the bait sit a little more level in the water. My theory in removing a portion of the rear weight is that it shouldn't allow the face of the bait to catch as much water. I have performed these modifications seperately and tested after each step. I have gotten a little more spit but not near the spray action that I can get out of a Rico. Anyone have any suggestions on something I may have overlooked. Thanks for the help.

#2 BobP


    Advanced Member

  • TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts
  • Location:
    Summerfield, N.C.

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

Most guys mod a Plaster of Paris R by sanding or shaving the bottom of the front lip so that instead of catching water and "blooping", it slides across the water and spits. You can buy Zell Rowland edition Plaster of Paris R's that have the same mod. But alot of topwater afficionados prefer Ricos and Yellow Magics regardless.

#3 Skeeter


    Advanced Member

  • Site Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
  • Location:
    Lexington, NC

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:52 PM

I modify a Plaster of Paris r by just filing the bottom lip flat. I file until I see where the seam starts to show. Filing the sides can really kill the bouyancy of the bait. If you use a rod with a stiff tip, the bait will really spit some water.