finlander

set up shop outdoors or vacuum system?

A friend says to get the cedar out of the house. Either a shed outdoors, or a very good vacuum system. Currently I have a band saw, router table, and a dual sander. Soon I will be adding a small table saw to the setup. I use a respirator. What have you all been doing? How many have an outdoor locale to get away to? Thanks.

I do my building in the garage. I have a dust collector that I'll move around as needed between tools to collect dust. In addition, I have an airfiltration system that picks up the smaller particles. I would not mind having an external building though, less sawdust in the house from me tracking back and forth from the garage.

Andrew

... The sawdust is a mess tho and a nice dust collection system on everything would be nice.

RM

Depending on the wood, it may also be toxic or can cause repirtory problems over an extended period. Cedars, for example, fall into that last category. I highly recommend a decent, HEPA approved dust mask for all wood working, especially sanding. Sanding produces a lot of fine dust that can do nasty things to the lungs. Sorry for the hijack, but we want to continue seeing those cool gliders for years to come!

Andrew

Finlander,

I have the same equipment as you plus a table saw and a lathe. I use 1/3 of my three car garage and even with a 2hp dust collection system and several shop vacs, there is still too much dust around. A separate shop would really be the way to go, but I am stuck with what I have for now like most of us. Not so much of a problem of breathing the dust, but it does get tracked in the house, etc. etc. and I hear about it almost on a daily basis if you know what I mean.....lol

Rod

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know alot about the big dust collectors? The upright one with a bag above and below. What does the upper area do? I know I would have to have a connection sytem on each of the tools. Still it might be cheaper than a good size shed. But indoors I would have to think about what the wood dust that escapes capture would do to others in the home. Decisions decisions....

I have been lurking for a while and this is my first post. There are basicly two styles of dust collectors that are the bag style. One has two bags that both work as a filter until the lower bag fills with the dust decreasing the effiency to move air. They do not work by hard suction they work by moving large volumes of air. This style typically traps dust 30 microns and above. The newer style has a pleated cannister filter on top that traps down to one micron. The lower bag is a clear heavy duty disposable collection bag. The filter has a crank on top that rotates rubber flaps around the pleated filter cleaning it, and knocking the dust in to the lower bag for disposal. You only do this with the unit off. I have both styles in a 3 hp. and a 2hp. The cannister style works way better even though it is the 2 hp. single filter and my 3 hp. is a four bag. It is way easier to empty and clean. I also run a ceiling mounted air cleaner that circulates the air in my shop over every five minutes. They were not real pricey units and what it does for your lungs and your shop/ home is worth every penny. The ceiling mount air cleaner comes with a remote and the Dust collectors have it as an option. I mounted a remote on each peice of equipment or you can carry the remote on your belt. I hope this was helpful.

Thanks for the help/ I was wondering how noisy those collectors were. This little shop vac screams more than my parrots do. I really would rather sweep than turn it on. That is a reason why I was looking into an outdoor shed. But then it comes to heating it on winter days and I am not an electrician. I would have to run an extension cord out there with a heater to survive. That tutorial was informative. Anyone ever build one? Prices for new collectors run $400 for a dual bagger.

Another cheap air filter can be made by tapeing a high efficiency pleated fornace filter to a box fan. The filter must cover all of the fan grate as these fan motors are not sealed and spark proof. Just set it up near your work area. so that it is blowing away from you and it will draw a large amount of the dust out of your air space.

kb here dont for get to run a ground wire in those dust collectors because they can explode by static elec.i run my dust system through 4' pvc pipe for the dust and the planer lower bag gets the large stuff the top bag gets the fine dust i have made a lot of red cedar chest. i guess the stuff dont bother me i also had abody shop for 35 years and do get a chest x ray every year with no problems and will be 72 if i make it till april kb

I have done that right near my band saw. Usually when I am cutting basswood for wood carvings. That wood really gets me sneezing. Cedar doesn't seem to have that effect on me. I have been wearing a respirator when I am cutting cedar. Still not sure what I will do. Thanks.