t_miller316

painting with paasche vl

i need to know if anyone can tell me what the best air pressure setting is for this airbrush. i am using creatix paint and air tank(like commercial torch tanks) which has a regulator. someone said to spray at 40 psi but i can not get fine detail like i want at that psi. i have tried # 1 and #3 tips and needles but always have a rough edge to edge. any help is appreciated.

I have the Paasche VL and spray at about 25 PSI. I use Apple Barrol paints, that I thin with glass cleaner (windex). This seems to be a pretty good pressure. I have not really tried any fine line type work yet. I have only been doing this a few weeks now. Hope that helped.

The VL and the Millennium brushes will spray at any psi you like, as long as the viscosity of the paint is ok. For color blending I like a higher psi, thinner paint (so it looks like you are basically spraying pigment), and a "drier" spray.

I shoot a lot of C-tex at psi 35-40 just because I like the way it covers at those pressures. I have tried all the needles and assemblies for those brushes, and have settled in on the #3 for most everything except very small baits.

Blending colors just takes lots of practice. Try shooting your second color in the opposite direction of your first color. Example: if blending a back and side, paint the side, then shoot your back color beginning at the top of the side and shooting away from the side color. Helps keep overspray issues to a minimum.

Feel free to PM or email me if you still have issues with your Paasche. I'm one of their fans, and run 3 at a time when I paint.