spare tire

epoxy finish on hinged baits

Oh come on Doomdart, show us some of your jointed baits! We've all shared plenty with you, I can't believe you'd hold something back from all of us. I'm considering trying some jointed lures, and I very much like seeing the end results from the different joining methods. Thus far, rjbass has set the standard in a clean, finished, dependable joint, but I'm open to ideas, especially with the number of possible solutions to connecting parts of a lure! I can't think of that many different ways to join Sevenstrand: Show us your lures! I won't copy if you don't want me to, besides, your anchoring system would be hidden inside the baits!

Dean, did you edit that post? I just reread the entire thing from start to finish, and do not remember that post in the original flow of discussion. I seriously doubt you need any advice on ways to joint a bait with sevenstrand, but if so pm me.

here's a picture of the hinge system i am using and an in progress swimbait. the hinge plate is aluminum and the wire is .40 s.s. i do all the finish work and topcoat before epoxying the hinge into the body sections. pretty strong, i can't pull it apart and this way i can avoid getting anything in the hinge to foul it up.

fish lures 246.jpg

fish lures 247.jpg

fish lures 246.jpg

fish lures 247.jpg

fish lures 246.jpg

fish lures 247.jpg

fish lures 246.jpg

fish lures 247.jpg

fish lures 246.jpg

fish lures 247.jpg

fish lures 246.jpg

fish lures 247.jpg

fish lures 246.jpg

fish lures 247.jpg

fish lures 246.jpg

fish lures 247.jpg

2103_thumb.attach

2104_thumb.attach

I've twisted 7 strand and fixed it like solid wire, you must twist it in the same direction as the strand twist or it will unravel.

Also, the loop must be kept small as the first heavy load will set the loop in an elongated shape. The small loops make for a very tidy joint.

As for durability of a straight through 7 strand hinge, no one has given any feedback for or against.

yeh, i got an old broiler pan at the goodwill store that was aluminum,got enough to make a hundred hinges for $1. i made a drawing of the hinge but couldn't upload it in the reply for some reason. will try to figure it out and post it. have no way to video them at the present. might have to get a camcorder instead of the new rod and reel i was looking at and invest in one.

Dean, did you edit that post? I just reread the entire thing from start to finish, and do not remember that post in the original flow of discussion. I seriously doubt you need any advice on ways to joint a bait with sevenstrand, but if so pm me.

I just wanted to physically see the results of this type of joint, which would tell me whether I'd want to pursue a design of this type. How it looks in the final product will show not just me but everyone not only the cleanliness of the design, which is tantamount in a jointed lure, but would likely show its strengths or potential weaknesses and easily the build might be accomplished.

I'm just saying, don't post that you have a solution to a problem, and stop short, saying the rest of it is a secret, I think everyone would agree that that's just bad board ettiquette. The logical next step to your post is a picture that says "Here Vodkaman, like this", just as rj and riverman did. Otherwise, why post at all if you're simply going to say "I have the answer, but I'm not going to tell anyone, but it does involve this one component", and then not even post a pic showing, if nothing else, the end result. That's just bad forum form.

Sincerely, Dean

iv'e tried to pull it apart and can't. i use only the 2 ton epoxy for the hinge assembly. with this method i can adjust the segment gap to allow for a wide tail action. also the v-cut in the bait results in the bait making a clicking sound on the retreive when the sections flex.

Doomdart,

I just wanted to see some pictures of your baits where you'd made the Sevenstrand work for you in a jointed lure. I just can't see how you'd make it work without a giant fatigue factor if you were depending upon the flex in the single strands and no joint (kinks?), or if you were joining them with interlocking loops, how that would look. A picture's worth a thousand words here. You are the one who brought up the method, but refused to be specific. And the "difficulty in taking pictures" excuse is pretty lame; I can see you uploaded a pic for your avatar. Or if what you're saying is just theory, then state it as such, but of course you said you hadn't noticed any fatigue in your joining technique...jeez, just post your lures and show us!

Dean