Black Dog

Could you mold these???

2316oakies_small.JPG

They are called Okie's or Oakie's......they are very popular for steelhead or salmon fishing out here in the NW. They havent been made for many years. They are hard plastic type outside and foam inside (they float high)....with a hole thru the middle for the leader.

I am thinking a person could make some molds and then pour in some of this fancy lure plastic I see you guys talking about......the most important thing is that it would have to be airy (light) and float. For you guys with experience in this (I have none) is this possible??

thanks! :teef:

Russ

2316oakies_small.JPG

They are called Okie's or Oakie's......they are very popular for steelhead or salmon fishing out here in the NW. They havent been made for many years. They are hard plastic type outside and foam inside (they float high)....with a hole thru the middle for the leader.

I am thinking a person could make some molds and then pour in some of this fancy lure plastic I see you guys talking about......the most important thing is that it would have to be airy (light) and float. For you guys with experience in this (I have none) is this possible??

thanks! :teef:

Russ

Yes! Silicone RTV from Smooth-on would be my choice for the mold. They also have casting resin. I'd lay them out with a SS wire going through them so the hole would be cast in. You could use casting resin with Micro balloons or 16lb expandable foam for the egg clusters. shopmaninc.com

ok so the SIlicon is what makes the mold? and then use the resin or expandable foam for the body? Sorry I have never done any of this casting so its new to me........is the expandable foam very expensive? Does it stay soft of harden up on the outside? Im just trying to figure the cost per.....most popular sizes of these are about the size of a marble. thanks

ok so the SIlicon is what makes the mold? and then use the resin or expandable foam for the body? Sorry I have never done any of this casting so its new to me........is the expandable foam very expensive? Does it stay soft of harden up on the outside? Im just trying to figure the cost per.....most popular sizes of these are about the size of a marble. thanks

Silicone for the mold. Click the link in my other post. 16 Foam is as hard as a rock but floats. Also ask this in the soft bait section as many of the guys there make 2 part RTV molds for their baits.

Where you at BlackDog? I'm in northeast Oregon and have used lots of those in years past. I think you can indeed mold them but once you go through the process you might question why you did! If you go the silicone route you are probably looking at 40 dollars minimum in materials (silicone and foam)...............you can buy a whole bunch of okies for that. If you go ahead with the process I would build a two part mold and add a stainless steel rod through the center as Husky as suggested.

RM

okies are spendy......they sometimes go for around $1 EACH on Ebay. Thats why I wanted to make some of my own :)

Mold material will cost about $24, 4 lb size of 16 Lb foam about $20. You should be able to make about a Gizzillion, give or take a dozen, from that investment.

One caveat; Those were designed by someone else so selling them is a legal No no. If you want to design your own Egg cluster, then that will be fine for commercial purposes.

There has been a few versions of that but they have different names.....so I dont know how 'different' one would have to be in the design. I think if it was similar but called a different name that would be OK. Just like there is "Stee-Lee" brand spoons but you can buy the same thing in 'generic' form from Lakeland or other places, they are just called something else. But yeah a person would have to watch that :)