Shawn M

PP question

Hi guys,

I was painting some round jigheads last night after work and got a call to go in to work to deal with a couple issues. I wasn't able to cure some heads last night, but put them into the oven tonight. They seem to be fine, but was wondering if there was a time limit from when you paint the heads to when you cure them in the oven.

Also, I haven't figured out how to not get paint on the hook eyes (I'm painting up some 1/16 oz and 1/8 oz jigheads for this weekend). I have been using an eye buster to get the paint off before I bake them. Is this what most folks are doing or is there another way?

Thanks!!

Shawn

You shouldn't have any problems with your PP. I have waited weeks before curing and havent noticed any difference. A fluid bed will help keep the eyes open on larger hooks, but not sure if it will help much on smaller hooks. I clean all of mine before curing, just think it looks better, but I'm not mass producing heads either.

Shawn, I'll second MDC's comment. I have actually primed jigs with spray primer, left it for 3 months, then Powder Painted (PP) over the primer, (this process is for raw lead only). Also have cured PP jigs months after originally powder painting, with out any problems. The only thing I do is to wipe the jigs off with a dry towel to get the dust off, if you leave them for months. On the small jigs and eyelet holes. First of all as soon as I dip them in PP, I have a drill blank, slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the eyelet. Once I PP the jig, I immediately stick the drill blank through the eyelet hole. You will usually push paint through, which will stick to the end of the drill bit. Use the smooth side, not the side with the cutting edge, or you will nick the inside of the eyelets, and your line will start to fray. Then I rack them or drop them in water. Then they go into the oven.You can use wire, but make sure it is stiff. Just a note always clean you eyelets before you bake. The baking will harden the paint, and when you use an eyebuster at this time to clean the eyes, it will usually clean the eye and chip the paint. Trust me do it when the paint is still hot. It'e really easy at that point. Just my opinion. If you need more info, PM me.

Shawn

The only time I worry about curing right away is when I want to maintain the chrome effect of the jigs with a clearcoat, clearcoat/glitter, or translucence PP. Usually apply and cure right after making the jig. You can wait – depends on the purity of your lead (how fast it will oxidize).

cadman

“Then I rack them or drop them in water.” Why the “water dip”?

MDC

“I clean all of mine before curing, just think it looks better, but I'm not mass producing heads either.” I agree on all three points.

I don’t pre-heat the jigs to full cure temp prior to applying the PP, just hot enough for the paint to stick. Makes cleaning the eyes much easier.

Does look better and (don’t know why) have more confidence in the knot with the cleaned eye. Mass production usually sacrifices the attention to detail.

LedHed, I only drop the really small jigs in water. 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 oz. The reason being, is when they are that small they take less time to swish in the paint, and in my haste when I'm on a roll, I have dropped more hot painted jigs on the floor than racked. I know it's an extra step, but I think I save more time by painting and dropping them in the water, than painting and trying to rack them and dropping them on the floor. When I'm done I take them all out at once and rack them. Maybe my fingers are un-coordinated.