fatfingers

Quick Tips...take em all, but leave one of your own!

I'm amazed at some of the great tips that have been hung on this thread!

Here's one that I think might be helpful.

If you prefer to avoid melting and pouring lead to add weight to your baits, try this:

Go to a Hunting/Sporting Goods store and purchase "round balls" for a muzzleloading rifle. Bullets are available in a variety of weights, sizes and shapes. The nice thing is that you can mix and match the bullets to achieve the desired weight you need for any bait.

You can also purchase bullets in shapes other than round. In other words, a variety of traditional bullet projectiles are available for purchasing. The prices are reasonable and you get usually 50 or more in a box.

Also you can use fishing sinkers, but they are available only in a limited number of shapes. Split shot sinkers can be more appropriate for lighter, smaller baits.

I've been using Dicknite's lurecoat topcoat to seal all of my non-balsa lures. One coat is all that's usually needed, as it doesn't raise the grain. After drying a day or two, I hit it with some 800 automotive paper to knock off the gloss, and it's ready for foiling, or your choice of base coat. It works very very well as a sealer!

Dean

One way to put a thin clear on multiple baits with epoxy is to take a cold soda flip it upside down and mix your epoxy in the bottom of it, meanwhile you are heating up your bait till it is warm. Then start spreading the epoxy on, it will get nice and thin and it takes a long time for the cold devcon on the soda can to set up so you can do multiple baits at once. I find this better then thinging it or heating up the epoxy which makes it cure to fast.

Many of us use flux brushes to spread epoxy. To keep the hairs firmly in place, crimp them in with your round nosed pliers before using. This little tech. has really cut down on the amount of hairs I have to pick out of my top-coat.

One more: When using plumbers epoxy to fill holes, have your alcohol handy. Dip your finger in rubbing alcohol and rub the surface of the patch till smooth. It almost eliminates sanding after it sets up.

Hi I am a new member and learning things daily. This probably has been talked about before but there is a 1 part epoxy that is great for dipping lures such as pencil plugs it is made by a co. called top secret coatings and the clear is TS 100. I use empty hormel bacon bit jars for dipping pencil plugs and they work great. "HOGHEAD LURES"

weighting musky size gliders i use an assortment of stainless steel screws in different sizes in case i take out to much lead

also found a waterbased marker pen made originally for the aerospace industry which is solvent resistant and isn't affected by e-tex perfect for signing larger bait's made by a company called EDDING don't know if it's available in the states but there must be an equivalent over there if not

Brian Mullaney, I haven't used Dick Nite's stuff for musky, but if you're in doubt, don't use it. Musky teeth are incredibly tough and the weight of musky adds to the torque applied to the lure.

I use only Devcon 2 ton epoxy and occasionally Envirotex. Of the two, I prefer envirotex for a number of reasons, although envirotex is okay to use. You will get different opinions as to which of the two is superior.

Haz and Brian,

As a dedicated Dicknite's topcoat user, I normally will reply to all things Dicknite, but we have about seven pages of Tips going here and didn't want to start an off-topic or single topic discussion here and way-lay our Quick Tips Thread. Actually Haz, you nailed it very well about the performance characteristics of the various coatings, so I'll leave it at that. Brian, if you have any other questions about the Dicknite's, pm me, or re-post in hard baits..also do a search on Dicknite's; I and others have posted much on it: Dick himself is also a good source of info and is always glad to help!

Dean

For those of you that use a lathe for your baits you all know how hard it is to get the hang of a skew chisel. There is a product by Robert Sorby called the spindlemaster that is an awesome lathe tool. It never catches and is very easy to use. Here is a link, try one I promise it will blow your mind how easy it is to get a professional finish without much sanding....http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6435&filter=Stubai

Rod

This is a tip concerning your public profile:

I find when answering questions about a variety of topics posted here, that I look for the location of the person seeking information. It can be helpful for many reasons, such as fishing conditions, climate, and weather, probable lake and water types, and very often, the location of supplies commonly used in lure buliding as to the probability of finding them locally. Certain lure colors and types are favorites in particular locales, etc, but the upshot is this: When you come here seeking information, you are likely to get more help, more accurate advice, more often, if we know where you live! I'm betting most of the guys who have been here awhile would agree!

Dean