finlander

cutting ss for a lip

I bought a foot square sheet of stainless that is about an eighth inch thick. I own a 14 inch band saw. I don't know what types of metal cutting bandsaw blades are available out there that wouldn't be destroyed cuttting this stainless. Anyone ever attempt this? Is there a better way to cut this? I have a sawzall that I could cut it to width and length, and then I could round the tips on a grinding wheel. Wouldn't be pretty, but this is for myself.

I Run a sheetmetal shop, and sawing stainless steel is bad. If you go to fast it will break teeth off. I'm not saying it cant be done , but it is not fun. If it were me, I'ld try to have a sheet metal shop cut them to size with a shear, then grind to shape. I also think 1/8" is to thick for any sive lip. I think 1/16" would be stiff enough. If you email me youre address,& size I'll be happy to send you a handfull.

I want lips for my muskie baits. Lures are 12" and sometimes bigger. Just was looking online for a local place that might cut them with a waterjet system. Are these things expensive? Waterjets?? This piece of ss I have is HEAVY! I don't know how heavy a lip for this might weigh. What size do you have? And shapes?? What of titanium?? cost alot more? These baits I want to bang rocks with trolling, and I want a strong lip that won't deform with the abuse. Thanks, Bruce.

Waterjets are very expensive, and I dont think anyone would cut these out for less then $100. The material I have is stainless steel 304, in about any thickness you want from 1/32 thick to 3/16 thick. If you send me a sketch I will get as close as I can for you. There will be no charge as long as you are using them for youre own personal use. I have a cnc punching press, But edges still will be rough and will need hand work.I still think 1/8 is to thick but if thats what you want, can do.I would be happy to help because I've been looking & using this sight without joining. And I think I would like to start repaying asap for all the knowledge and fun i have had.

I bought a foot square sheet of stainless that is about an eighth inch thick. I own a 14 inch band saw. I don't know what types of metal cutting bandsaw blades are available out there that wouldn't be destroyed cuttting this stainless. Anyone ever attempt this? Is there a better way to cut this? I have a sawzall that I could cut it to width and length, and then I could round the tips on a grinding wheel. Wouldn't be pretty, but this is for myself.

The SS I use for lips is appx .022, which I find to be at the outer limit of thickness to work with. I had a tutorial here on fabricating SS lips.

The ss is an eighth of an inch. I like the weight of it so it will help take the bait down with little else needed to weigh the cedar. I probably go down to a 10 inch bait if I go to 1/16 lip. I can't belive a snip could cut ss, though it is 022. What else is available, that would take rock bashing without deforming?

The ss is an eighth of an inch. I like the weight of it so it will help take the bait down with little else needed to weigh the cedar. I probably go down to a 10 inch bait if I go to 1/16 lip. I can't belive a snip could cut ss, though it is 022. What else is available, that would take rock bashing without deforming?

Quality aviation snips will cut 22G easily but .125" more than 5 times thicker! I had trouble cutting .04 stock.

Tried cutting that stainless today. grrrr. Looks like it is 3/32" thick. Metal cutting jig saw blades did fair. Sawzall blade went much better but can only cut straights with it. Tried to go back and finish the arc at top of lip but either the blade has dulled or the metal has toughened up.

Thanks. These four baits are just going to be for me, not looking to sell any. The lips dont have to be pretty, just usable. Not sure how much ss will deform after a few trips against the rocks, but I cannot afford titanium. Rollie and Helens offer ss lips but they are small and I assume thin, to use on smaller lures. They are bent too, to screw in under the belly of a lure. The hunt continues. There is a company in town that was listed on a web search as to having a waterjet. I'll have to call them to see how much they would $oak me to set their machine up to do a few lips. But then I would have to sell these big baits to justify doing it at all.

Hi, new to the board. I mostly make saltwater plugs. Working on spearing decoys lately. To cut stainless steel try the bad dog biter from baddogtools dot com. I have one on loan from a friend. I have not used it yet, but I watched him cut auto bidy panels with it. fairly smooth cut even with the slow speed drill he had. I tested it at this shop and it is amazingly easy to use. Not cheap at $170 retail, but less than a laser.

I do not have any interest at all in the sale of the tool or the company except that it is a Rhode Island company.