Dungeonhawk

Pouring 3-4 inch grub molds?????

Good afternoon....

I have had a 3 inch grub mold for over a year now, and still cant pour it well enough to sell. Ive tried to gather enough information from dels site, and others, but nothing seems to work.

Ive opened the mold, poured the tail, with very hot plastic and when I close it up to pour the body, the tail squishes down and pushes out the sides.

So basically if i wanted to use them, id have to trim excess from the tail portion.

Does anyone have some tips for pouring these? I live in Iowa, where bass and walleye happily co-exist, and crappie, northern pike, musky, whites, stripers, smallies, the list goes on. All of them hit curl tail grubs. I have a lot of customers begging me to get them right.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan of http://www.mymomisbecky.com

I doubt that will work, I bought one similar, the hole is to small and the plastic cools too quick, I wasted about $45 on one last year. anyone want to buy it I will sell or trade, LOL

I inject mine with a plastic syringe that you use for animals, the thicker Model, but you need to be careful, I would never do my grub molds any other way, The one I use is a 60 cc, works so well I probably should not have told you. I purchased two of those pieces of junks net craft sells and man if they want me to give money to them for nothing they should have at least saved me the shipping cost.

P.S. Anyone not happy with their grub molds I want them

Ya that is what I am using.

Hey I shoot my molds with one fill, ( I use Del's molds )I do the 2 3" and 2 5" and 3 twin tail grubs, works so well for me I want more molds.

It takes longer to open the molds up.

only problem I have is the twin tail molds as their is no extra pour sprue and the plastic sucks down when cooling, It would be nice if del made that with a longer sprue, I ask him too but, BUT

Dungeon, It still will probably not work, mine only has about 3/8 of a needle, the 2nd problem is, it is too small of a point, the syringe needs a fat point to make a seal in the opening of the mold, you cannot have a air gap at the sprue or it will not fill the tail, it needs to be able to push the air out of the chamber as it fills it.

when you inject it, it will fill the chamber and you will feel that you are not able to squeeze anymore, then you need to release the pressure and then top fill the sprue after you pull the syringe out.

I have really enjoyed reading the posts on this, since I was wondering the same thing. So far the only worms/grubs I've poured have been one sided molds since I am scared to try the 2-sided ones. I was wondering if a turkey injector would work, it has a pretty large capacity and the "needle" is pretty wide with a large hole. The body is made of plastic so I don't know if they would stand up to the heat.

Just a thought...

Shawn

I doubt it unless you can find a thick one at least 1/16 or thicker.

The syringes were talking about are plastic but heavy duty.

You need to be able to pull the slide out to clean it as well.

I lube the tube end with a few drops of scent then put the slide in make sure it is free then I suck up the plastic, inject it, then squeeze the rest of plastic out and pull the slide back apart set it to the side, pour a few other molds, take the grub molds apart, clean the tip of the injector and re-peat, most of the time you can just stick a screw driver in the opening of the syringe to clear the hole without getting all the plastic totally out of the syringe as long as there is not to much in it.

Just make sure you lube it every time.

AND DO NOT BURN YOURSELF.

The quickest you can do it the better as the plastic can melt it if it stays in to long, I have never melted one but my tip is getting bad so I need to get more, I probably have done 500 with the same one so far and have many more it will do.

Did I mention CAUTION?

I did tip the mold over when injecting this week and it squirted and luckily I was wearing a heavy shirt