Queezinhouse

What would ya do?

If you caught the million dollar world record bass and it was on a bait you made would you say you caught it on your bait or say you caught it on a big name company to try and get some cash from them. I do realize you would get money from the reel company,rod,line,hook etc. I dont make baits but was wondering what you guys would do? I would prob take the cash. Just for the mere fact if I was a small bait company I dont think I could keep up with the demand you may have for that bait. Also i could use some extra cash, without having to spend my time making baits myself. Although it would be tough to say you caught it on something else cause I would want the credit for something I made. Just a thought. Queez

Hey guys, I think you're missing the point. Believe me I have had this discussion a hundred times with fishin' buddies. There is NO big name lure (or line, reel, rod,etc) company that will pay you a DIME without solid proof (see; a polygraph, or seven ) the risk is not worth it.

Say company X pays you a cool million to promote "their" record setting lure. Three weeks into your rock star tour you get religion, and come clean. That company is gone, kaput, finito...see my point? IF and when a World Record Bass is caught, you can bet you will get the proper story....its the ONLY way anyone will make a true fortune from such a feat.....Dave

Truth is the best policy! I would give props to whatever lures I use. I run into a similar dilemma with our web site. We post the fishing trips we go on and usually post what we catch them on. Thank god for us that three of the biggest bass of the year were caught on our lures and coming in second would be jigs.

I guess I have to start making jigs :lol:

I agree that the truth would be the way to go. If I ever caught a bass that warranted recognition (I truly doubt the next record bass swims where I currently fish) I would give props to what lure I was using. If it was a plastic I poured using a mold I bought, I'd mention who I bought the mold from, those folks deserve the recognition for the quatility products they have.

Anyway, it would be really cool if the lure that caught her was a handmade bait, and even better if made by a TU member! I'm amazed and humbled everyday by what folks here are putting together.

Shawn

Has anyone here read about George Perry giving the names of a couple of different lures as the one that got him the "Big One"? It seems he just wanted free tackle; now that there is BIG money at stake, polygraphs would definitely be in order.

I think it was Owner that had a big reward a few years back for a world or state record bass using one of their hooks. The contest rules stated there had to be a witness, photographs, polygraph(s), and I don't remember the other criteria were, but it would have been hard to fool 'em, I think.

Honesty is the best policy, but fishermen aren't always known for being honest, are we? ha ha

ok, now what if you copied a bait, caught the world record bass on it, would you say it was a copy, or claim that it was your design.

You could always say " It's just my own homemade version of a great bait designed by ____________ " Then the designer gets the credit.... which, in all fairness, is only right !

Homer, I believe the whole Perry story is a fabrication. There are so many untruths and inconsistancies to his story that it makes you wonder. People say he got nothing and had no motivation to lie but for a guy described as dirt poor, a few baits and the 75.00 contest winnings was a lot. I've researched the story a ton and the only conclusion I see is that this a fraud. Creek Chub Wiggle Fish, Creek Chub Shiner and an other bait were claimed by Perry to have caught the fish. No photo of Perry holding the fish, no proof of the "witness" true identity was ever found, an extortion letter to Creek Chub by Perry, the record submitted after the fish was eaten, make for an interesting tale.

I think you are probably right, earthworm... Perry's catch would NEVER qualify today. Just this past summer, a 25 pound 1 ounce bass was caught ON VIDEO, and the catch was disqualilfied because the hook was in the belly.

There was a photo in bassmaster of a kid who was supposedly Perry's Nephew (I think) holding up a gigantic bass. Was it the world record fish? Some relative of his produced it recently and says it was his fish. There again, more ""evidence" that would never hold up to current standards.

As you say, he was very poor (fishing from a homemade boat, supposedly, and sharing ONE rod, reel and lure), and that $75 and a few lures would have been a big motivator to be less than honest. I've seen a lot of people exaggerate the size of fish, anyway, when there is no money involved. If it meant feeding my family for a month, I'd probably be dishonest about what lure I'd used as well, in his situation. Maybe that explains why people who knew Perry said he never seemed very impressed with his record?

There is no million dollar WR bass!!!! Nobody is going to just give you money. There is no prize or bounty!!!! I dont how many times I have heard people say this. It is a myth. It does not exist!!!!!!!!!!!

Now thats not to say if you marketed yourself properly you could make a lot of money maybe even more than a mill. It just depends on how marketable you are and how you take advantage of the situation. The bait you use would be on your IGFA aplication. It would be public knowledge. They wouldnt have to pay you a dime. Now maybe you could work out a comercial deal or something. You could do seminars or write a book or something. A savy guy could make a living of that fish. Joe average would get some free product and maybe a little money for his story. Dont kid your self. The big tackle companies are smart they wouldnt just come running to you with big wads of money.

First of all the fish would have to be certified by the proper authorities as being a record fish. The companies will go about business as usual until the certification is authentic. Yes...they will give you happy happy joy joy lip service hoping that if you are wrong you will be slick enough to pull it off. But first they will be waiting for you to pass the polygraph test(s) before they put their money where their mouth is. You will also be signing legal papers drawn by corporate lawyers stating that you were being 100% truthfull which will excuse them from liability.

Ill be truthfull in saying that i have been attempting to break the Kentucky state record on largemouth for well over ten years now. But most likely it wont be on one of my baits...when and if i do it will be on a musky jitterbug. Im not afraid to throw any of my baits up against those made by the "big boys". But in my opinion the musky jitterbug cant be beat for producing trophy sized bass.