KikenChiken

Glitter

12 posts in this topic

Looking for some glitter ideas. Do most of you mix it with the paint or topcoat? Also, any sources of good glitter (the finer - the better I would think) would be beneficial.

KikenChiken

I don't personally use it, but I've heard of folks mixing it in with their D2T.

As far as where to get it - look up senkosam on this board.

I occasionally add some to the clearcoat. If you mix it in the paint, I think most of it will disappear or clog your airbrush. You can use any type in Devcon but plastic flake can disolve in solvent based clearcoats.

I either mix the flake in clearcoat (flexcoat) or sprinkle it over specific areas of the bait. Sprinkling allows you to get specific colors in specific areas vs. mixed clearcoat which will tend to put the mixed flake color all over the body.

In either case I follow it up with at least one additional clear coat to seal, add depth, and bring put the color of the flake. Depending on the size of flake, not sealing it may cause failure of the clearcoat.

A method you can use if shooting lacquer or paint that requires solvent. Mix flake with straight solvent and dust the bait until the desired coverage is achieved. Upon completing the dusting with the flake you can then clearcoat, eliminating shooting a clearcoat twice

Ive been using a real fine glitter that is used for embossing, what that is Im not sure. it works great mixed into devcon then brushed on. They sell many colors. I got it from Joanns fabric craft store here in Michigan.

Jim

:) My favorite source is Hobby Lobby.. Look in the glitter section for Poly Flake. It is usually hanging on the wall in 21 gram shaker bottles. Just sprinkle a little in the Devcon when you mix it. The Poly Flake is light enough to suspend in the epoxy and will add depth and sparkle to the finish. Jan's and Stamina will offer more color options but will be a tad more expensive....... and work just the same.......

:) Good Luck.

BJ

I have used the Poly-Flake and it works great. It is very hard to see individual flakes, but it will shine very nice. They have some Disco colors that really pop when they are over the right colors.

Senkosam (he hangs out in the soft plastic forum)is your best bet for buying glitter.His prices are great,and his selection is incredible..Nathan