Senkosam

ground glass vs. salt for weight

I recently came across a source for ground glass, which differs from sand and fine salt in that it suspended nicely and added weight. It doesn't affect lure softness and has that grit you find in GY lures, especially Senkos.

Of course, the translucence is better than sugar, but only a little, and the periphery of the plastic near the skin is translucent. Added to a short stick, there was a 1 gram increase per bait and a stick sank fast in a horizontal fall. Less glass is needed than sugar, but the same as salt.

Ground glass can be dangerous because of the tiny grain size and I'm careful to not let my fingers get close to my face or eyes and to wash my hands after using it.

Cool stuff none the less.

The other problem your going to have is major libality issues.

in all honesty you would be a fool to put ground glass in your baits if you sold them.

think about it, a lot of guys bite the tips off the bait when they get frayed, there kids eat the baits or taste the baits.

do you really want a lawsuit?

not to mention do you really want to have ground up powdered glass in your house? if you ingest some your going to have some serious problem

it would be just like using mercury for weight in a bait ( just a small drop is all it takes).

BAD BAD IDEA

I know people are looking for alternatives to salt. The salt is a twofold product for plastics. It adds weight and it excellent for bait retention. You don't get that with glass, sand and sugar. Why not experiment and find the "right" salt rather than go with potentially harmful materials? Viper....that's funny "S"!

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that ground glass would make a bait float not sink. It seems like I read a post once that someone was going down to their local glass shop and getting some of this stuff and using it to make their baits float. It seems like they said it was better than the super floating bubbles because it didn't throw the color off nearly as bad. Do any of you guys remember that post?

TJ

Hi, I think one should really consider, what to bring in the waters, this is an arguement.

Quote:

"think about it, a lot of guys bite the tips off the bait when they get frayed, there kids eat the baits or taste the baits.

do you really want a lawsuit?"

But honestly, wouldn't someone biting in cancer producing softbaits be a fool either??? We should be honest to say that many softplastics, we burrow in the ground are toxic for organisms...with all the softener and mixtures...The warning on the products is not just for fun, isn't it?!

Of course we should'nt increase the quantity of stuff we already "throw" in the waters.

Will a kid drink the uncooked plastic because its looks like milk? How many people clamped a lead split shot with there teeth? Tungsten is radioactive? How many people use glass rattles? How many people use GLASS bubbles to make there plastic float?

I personally like the "thinking out of the box" that SenkoSam brings to TU. While this is a safety hazard, I see it no worse then the ones mentioned above. I think some were being a little harsh. Just my :twocents: ......Jeff

it wasnt to harsh, if you guys want a lawsuit more power too ya but dont say that someone didnt warn you.

jeff your talking crushed glass vs solid glass a completely different thing.

floating bubles have no problems mixed in plastic to the customer as you cant inhale them. but buying floating bubles themselves is very dangerous.

Tungten could be radio active, As a matter of fact lots of metals are radio active. this was taught in highschool chemistry class.

we used to cut tugnsten at our areospace shop me and my employees for 10+ years , Been cutting cobalt for 20+ years I have yet to glow.

as far as lead causeing I will probally get it pretty soon if I dont have it yet. Ive been reloading shotgun shells since I was 6 years old. I worked for my dad at a refinery when I was 10-20 and unloaded PURE liquid lead out of 55 gal drums( we had to wear special suits) and sometimes it spashed. I painted miles and mile and miles of oil pipelines with what th called redlead this was a protective coating for steel.

and dont forget about everyone in the military especially the navy, redlead was used on everything. and base houseing has asbestos and lead paint everywhere. heck most are still alive.

not to mention all the mercury I played with when I was a kid cause I thought the stuff was cool.

this is completely different your talking crushed glass used in baits, when swallowed you stomich acids with break down the the plastic leaving only the crush glass to go through your digestive system, as glass cant be digested. while it may not kill you it will mess you up.

yes its thinking out of the box of main stay , but there is still common sence and responcibility that must be thought about, especially if your selling baits to the public. somebody somewhere will sue you for something. crushed glass would be the easiest case to win.

OK, just for my understanding Del....

"floating bubles have no problems mixed in plastic to the customer as you cant inhale them. but buying floating bubles themselves is very dangerous."

"this is completely different your talking crushed glass used in baits, when swallowed you stomich acids with break down the the plastic leaving only the crush glass to go through your digestive system, as glass cant be digested. while it may not kill you it will mess you up."

I have two baits, one with floating bubbles and one with crushed glass. You stomach acids break the plastic down and leave only the glass to go through you digestive track. Somehow the bubbles don't cause a problem but the crushed glass does? Is it because ones smooth and ones rough?

I agree all the things listed are very dangerous. However I think one is no worse then the other.

Thats my thinking,

you tell me which would you rather ingest crushed glass with sharp edges or smooth round microscopic glass. you going to let your kids play with baits that have crushed glass in them. yeah I didnt think so.

BTW the bubble are really dangerous to inhale as they get in your lungs cause they are light.

there are many things in manufacturing that are dangerous to make an end products , what people need to do is realize whats danerous in the end product and end user. sorry but common sence will tell you crushed glass is definatly not one of them.

heres one example.

equal sugar. there is one product that is put into equal sugar that will destroy your lungs if inhaled its aspertane it has extreamly sharp edges, however the process to make equal sugar. the end consumer doesn't get even close to what can be harmful in a box of 100.

instead of trying to disclaim, trying to compare this to that ,look for loop holes in something, or post a post claiming a post was too harsh. start thinking of another way to use something else your wasteing too much engery and time trying to argue the point, when it could be used in other projects.

pretty much just like the patent issues, some people will try anything to get around it.

people will post what they know, have experiance with or was told by individuals , most people are fine with, that others have to put a spin on it to try to find a way to make it work for them even if its illegal or dangerous. you all should be happy someone posts these things cause they could keep you from landing in court.

most people that post here are trying to keep your butts from ending in court so you can take that for what its worth. I havent seen anyone in all the years on TU and the old tackle making.com site say something so they could steal the idea and use it or just make it sound like a bad idea.

some of you guys will try anything to get by logic/ common sence just to sell something absolutely amazing. Dont get me wrong some of the ideas I have seen are incredable and come out really good. but some are just down right dangerous.

bottom line frank can walk down the hallway of the hospitol he works at and ask how safe crushed glass is.

Even though it was assumed that we would mass produce baits with crushed glass and everyone would be in great danger, lakes would be ruined, etc.... I would still be interested in some of this just for experimenting, which was my original intention. Let me know if you still gonna sell this SenkoSam.

LOL :lol: , I'm not sure. I guess there is always the risk of a kid picking it up and eating it. I think thats worse case scenario.

We have eliminated the glass bubbles from our manufacturing process but still use them for our own baits and experimentation. In my opinion, if the bubbles are light enough to float in the air they will be crushed by the body real easy if ingested. So, I see both being equal in danger.