charkins

Don'ts for Newbies

Hey there!

i started making baits over the summer, I make hand dipped tubes, handpour Ned rigs and handpour swimbaits. (Lots of smallmouth river fishing in my area) anyways, I have came across a problem that has baffled me. I done a run of baits last night, cut the tubes, trimmed everything up let them cure and this morning the tails of my tubes have turned colors. They have turned cloudy, and much much lighter than the bait itself. They look awful, you could look at them and assume  I done a 2 color tube they’re so much lighter. I haven’t had this problem before so I’m curious on what I done wrong. Could leftover water from the water bath done this? Could it be the plastisol? (I did use dead on plastix for the first time on this run of baits) I’m hoping someone has had this problem before and can help!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MattJbaits said:

Hey there!

i started making baits over the summer, I make hand dipped tubes, handpour Ned rigs and handpour swimbaits. (Lots of smallmouth river fishing in my area) anyways, I have came across a problem that has baffled me. I done a run of baits last night, cut the tubes, trimmed everything up let them cure and this morning the tails of my tubes have turned colors. They have turned cloudy, and much much lighter than the bait itself. They look awful, you could look at them and assume  I done a 2 color tube they’re so much lighter. I haven’t had this problem before so I’m curious on what I done wrong. Could leftover water from the water bath done this? Could it be the plastisol? (I did use dead on plastix for the first time on this run of baits) I’m hoping someone has had this problem before and can help!

Try skipping the water bath for one batch to see if that is the problem.

Hey guys! A mom here!! Our 11 year old son wants to start trying to make soft plastics. I have been reading and taking lots of notes of do's and don'ts. He has wanted to do this for quite some time, with our help of course, which is why I'm so intent on learning everything I can. After reading a lot of these, it's making me really nervous and am wondering if I should even allow this at this age. :wacko:

Any advice regarding this would be GREAT!!!! Thanks in advance and I will continue educating myself before this happens. :)

6 hours ago, Basstboy said:

Good morning,

Going to start making Craws over the long winter her in Canada and was wondering what size glitter i should be adding to my baits as I see it comes in various sizes.

Anything you like.  Play around with it and find what works best for YOU!  Personally, a really good base flake would be lots of small red with a touch of large black flake.  I used that on many of my baits.  When it comes to flake color and size, the possibilities are endless.

Oh and welcome to TU!! 

• Like 1