• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 Fish On!

Fish On!

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

I don't know about the swim bait issue, but I did learn by mistake with the Plaster of Paris drying on 325 for over and hour. They do crumble. You can't hardly carve any further details. I had to do any adjustments softly as possible, reseal, pour a new master bait and recreate a good working Plaster of Paris mold. I first thought I had mixed to much water in my Plaster of Paris and weakened it. Mixing a thin Plaster of Paris solution and pouring in from the corner makes for good results.

#42 mark poulson

mark poulson

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

I don't know about the swim bait issue, but I did learn by mistake with the Plaster of Paris drying on 325 for over and hour. They do crumble. You can't hardly carve any further details. I had to do any adjustments softly as possible, reseal, pour a new master bait and recreate a good working Plaster of Paris mold. I first thought I had mixed to much water in my Plaster of Paris and weakened it. Mixing a thin Plaster of Paris solution and pouring in from the corner makes for good results.

If you brush some Plaster of Paris on your masters before you embed them, you don't get air bubbles.

#43 Crickrat

Crickrat

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

since this is the good newbie thread i have to ask, What does Plaster of Paris mean? and also can you use powder paints in hot plastic?

#44 Richard Prager

Richard Prager

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:22 PM

since this is the good newbie thread i have to ask, What does Plaster of Paris mean? and also can you use powder paints in hot plastic?

Plaster of Paris- plaster of paris.
I don't know what type of powder you are referring to. Other than the colorant sold for this purpose, you can use crayons, oil pastels, and coloring blocks for making candles. There might be other things that can be used i'm not aware of. You might try using the search engine with various key words. Hope this helps.

#45 Crickrat

Crickrat

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:41 PM

i meant the powder paints that you use for lead jigs etc, i have been making buzzbaits and spinners for a while now and have amassed a pretty good collection. thanks for the info tho! i've been thinking of pouring plastic and have been reading this forumn pretty extensively before i give it a shot, this thread is a lifesaver tho since it dispelled some notions i had immediately! thanks again!

#46 troutninja

troutninja

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

If u use a microwave for heating plastic, make sure you don't use any metal flake glitter...

#47 powerworm

powerworm

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

If u use a microwave for heating plastic, make sure you don't use any metal flake glitter...

why would you say not to use it in a microwave? lots of us have been doing it for quite awhile and i have yet to have any problems with the glitter; maybe im just lucky IDK?

#48 Tree_Fish

Tree_Fish

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

In my opinion for you guys starting out trying to make your own molds I would highly recommend using water putty to start with. I went through a couple 25 pound bags of Plaster of Paris trying to get my molds to come out the way I wanted them to. After many molds that had bubbles in them no matter how thin I mixed it I just couldnt avoid bubbles in my cavities, even if it was only one I wasnt satisfied. Adding vinegar to the water putty increases your work time, which allowed me to tap the sides etc and bring the bubbles to the top, drastically reducing the amount of bubbles in the mold. After going through 50 pounds of Plaster of Paris and not being satisfied with the results and then trying water putty and having my first mold come out perfect I am sold on water putty for the duration! One issue I did have was I took a weekend fishing trip and left a few mold halves in the boxes I built to pour them in, when I got back there was mold on the molds! So don't leave them in the boxes or the moisture will have nowhere to go and they will grow mold!

#49 americanfishingguy

americanfishingguy

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

If I wear a paint mask(standard cheap mask at Home Depot) and have a fan blowing the fumes out the door, am I okay? I really want to pour some soft plastics, but I don't want to harm myself. Are there any health risks that have been known to occur?

#50 Bucketmouthjigs

Bucketmouthjigs

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

Hello
I have been pouring Jigs for years. I have recently been relocated to Abu Dhabi, Uae I'm thinking of pouring my own soft plastics and no nothing about it .
My question is? Is there a supplier who can ship to the middle east? I'm finding it hard to find things here.
Regards, Jason

#51 Extremeoutdoors

Extremeoutdoors

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

I have a question... In my shop I use a microwave to heat my plastisol and other plastic only. Can my sisters boy use their microwave at home to heat up some plastisol and continue to use it for food after?

#52 SHK

SHK

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

no, not at all

#53 Duane's Custom Baits

Duane's Custom Baits

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

I use a Hot plate to heat my Plastic, I have been doing it this way now for 10 yrs, never had any problems until last yr, don't get me wrong, I'm very busy have used up 5-6 single & double hot plates, but thats to be expected pouring about 18 hrs a day 6 days a week.
But last year I was making some 3 1/2 " Tubes for a customer, ( I dip them) and I don't remember what happened but I spilit my pot, it had roughly 1 3/4 Cups of 350 degree plastic in it, thank the Lord, most of it did land on the floor, BUT, Some did land on me, I have a 3rd degree burn on the inside of my right leg,it start about 6" above the knee, to about 6" from my ankle, then a 2" strip across my right foot, and about 97% of my left foot, had to have skin grafts done.
I was dumb, I was wearing shorts, and no shoes or socks, I have been pouring like this from day one with out any problems, NOT any more.
What I'm getting to is, for you Newbies, don't be dumb like me and press your luck, I know wear blue jeans amd socks and shoes, yes I was lucky for 9 yrs, but trust me you don't want to go there.

#54 garthsnooks

garthsnooks

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

Don't pour plastisol on Saturday afternoons in the fall...if you are a Tennessee Vol fan.

#55 rev. taz

rev. taz

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

I have been making Plaster of Paris molds for a moment now. Usualy use clear epoxy to seal them, but have to work so fast to get it done. Have any of you tried using decopage (spelling?) Or a puzzle glue/sealer? If so, what were the results?

#56 ipt

ipt

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

I have been making Plaster of Paris molds for a moment now. Usualy use clear epoxy to seal them, but have to work so fast to get it done. Have any of you tried using decopage (spelling?) Or a puzzle glue/sealer? If so, what were the results?

I tried epoxy, maybe you need to mix it with water but i didnt like how hard it was to brush. (and its not cheap)

I like the feel of mod podge, but i dont think it holds up too well with heat (starts to peel)

I read somewhere on here about a 60/40 water/woodglue mix and i have been trying that.... so far so good!

Would love to hear more advice on this.

#57 rev. taz

rev. taz

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

Never thought of that..... was thinking about trying a brush-on enamal paint like rust-o-lium or along that line.....

#58 rev. taz

rev. taz

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

Never thought of that..... was thinking about trying a brush-on enamal paint like rust-o-lium or along that line.....

#59 rev. taz

rev. taz

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

#60 rev. taz

rev. taz

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

Sorry for the multi-post..... phone is acting goofy.....