charkins

Don'ts for Newbies

I use a silicone baking mat on top of my work bench, use the anchor cups and have not had a problem.  The silicone makes a nice barrier against the cold wood on the bench. 

I have been shooting in my garage in Wisconsin, I do have a 60k btu propane forced air heater and it does a good job making it comfortable to pour baits with the door and window open when it’s in then 20’s outside (I don’t go out if it’s colder than that!). I also hold my molds in front of the heater while my plastic is heating to warm them up, works good.

• Like 1

Just some word of advice, yes making , pouring your own baits can be rewarding and alot of fun. Saftey is so important. So don't forget to use common sense. Make sure your mentally all there. Prior to getting started.Take your time dont rush it! Take precautions! if inside or outside have plenty of ventilation use respirators,  gloves,  goggles. Protect your eyes there all you have. Don't ever pour your baits around animals or let young children help. Make sure your working on a very steady area or work space.Never work around flammable liquids, gasses or any materials that can ignite . Don't joke around As there can always be potential for an accident waiting to happen. Fumes and temp of heated plastic can be toxic, and can cause serious burns ,water or any moisture should not come in contact with hot plastic. Especially when pouring lead. Dont make a big mistake. Always protect yourself the time that you spent doing things in a safer way will save you from the hazards, accidents and problems that can happen as a result from being careless , and expensive medical bills, or from causing a fire as a result of not taking the time to think about what I should of done before not after. 

• Like 4

Hi,

What happens if you add water to your hot plastisol?  Everyone says don't do it but they never really say why or what would happen.  I could have missed it too.  The other day I heard taps in the microwave and when I opened it, the plastisol was producing bubbles and making loud tapping noises when the bubbles popped.  It kind of scared me as I thought the cup was going to break.  Everything turned out OK but I was just worried.  I don't think water got into it but maybe it did and that's what caused the loud bubble bursting?

After carefully peeling out the unused plastic, I would say that no further cleaning would be necessary or desirable.

The temptation may be to use an abrasive to remove scraps and spots. This would be a very bad idea as all you are doing is promoting future faults and cracks.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

On 6/10/2019 at 7:49 AM, Troutfishing303 said:

Hi,

What happens if you add water to your hot plastisol?  Everyone says don't do it but they never really say why or what would happen.  I could have missed it too.  The other day I heard taps in the microwave and when I opened it, the plastisol was producing bubbles and making loud tapping noises when the bubbles popped.  It kind of scared me as I thought the cup was going to break.  Everything turned out OK but I was just worried.  I don't think water got into it but maybe it did and that's what caused the loud bubble bursting?

same as dumping water in hot grease, flash explosion as water turns to srteam sending hot plastic splatter out in all directions like a hand grenade. then the other thing is your pyrex with most likely shatter if thew water touches it

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 9:22 AM, Socal399 said:

What’s a good way to clean out your Pyrex cups? 

use disposable cups with the measuring marks on them, then throw them away 

if you have raw plastic in pyrex heat it to cure it and it comes right out

if your pyrex isnt letting go of the cured plastic then the glass has become etched so replace it

• Like 1

I read every page of this thread a while ago, so if I forgot seeing it, my apologies. But one don't for newbies, and I am a newbie, is that don't forget to order bags for all the baits you're going to end up pouring lol

Thankfully I pretty much save all my empty bags from baits I have bought in the past so I have some to hold me over while I wait for the ones I ordered to get here.

BTW, this is a great thread and an awesome forum. I really appreciate all the help you guys give all us newbies.

RE: Pyrex Cups , Plastisol, Pouring Lead

Well some more advice before you get started. Saftey First!

1. Never use a cracked, chipped or altered pyrex cup to heat up your plastisol with. This is not safe if there is any doubt throw it out!  Buy a brand new one.

2. Pyrex cups do break From my experience I was using one which was fairly new and one day it just cracked in half, out of the blue after I had heated my plastic, right after reaching into the microwave. I dont know what happened maybe it was defective.

3. Research, the basic, find out, read alot of information on how to safely pour plastic baits, or lead I see alot of videos of inexperienced people on YouTube disregarding just simple saftey precautions. Not using eye protection, no gloves , no long sleves, no pants including pouring lead inside there home while wearing shorts or flip flops or no shoes WTF! pouring while using No respirator or proper ventilation. Yes making your own soft baits and lead weights or lures can be fun and rewarding but it can also be dangerous and toxic if saftey precautions are not followed. Gather all your items before you get started & Be safe dont disregard this important point. 

Edited by Parishomme
Spelling
  • Like 1