cranker

Jig head coating

I am new at this jig head painting but have allot of experience painting cranks with createx then top coating them with devcon 2T.This may sound really stupid but have any of you ever tried mixing your paint whether it be acrylic,enamel or whatever in with devcon epoxy then painting it on in one coat? I thought about it but I dont know whether or not you can mix anything into the epoxy and everything dry and bond just rite.I would love to hear if you have tried it and how it worked if it worked at all.

I've mixed hi-lite powder and flake in epoxy coatings (devcon, FC, etc) and had ok results. Have not tried to mix anything wet into it. MF has some dark powders for worm color, that might work.

If you are already good with C-tex it is probably easier to epoxy coat your head, shoot your paint, then epoxy again to seal. That is more or less what I do on "fancy" SB heads.

I would assume that the reasoning behind first applying a coat of epoxy before your first coat of paint is to obtain a smoother look? I have always just used a prime coat then the finish coat then the epoxy. I am sure that It has something to do with spraying I am still in the ice age and I dip. Not for long though.