basser_jim

Painting question

No. Brush the epoxy directly on the wood as a waterproofer and sanding sealer, then shoot a color basecoat of white acrylic, then color. Also, Shoot epoxy? Brush it on. It's too thick to spray and if it cures before you can clean it out, your airbrush is toast. I like epoxy to waterproof balsa because it greatly strengthens the lure. On hardwoods, you have wider choices because the primary function is only as a sanding sealer to keep water based acrylics from raising the wood grain. So you can use sanding sealer, polyurethane or any solvent based coating. Some use plastic cups or cellulose propionate pellets melted in acetone for that purpose. Acetone evaporates quickly so you can undercoat the lure and be ready to start painting in 15 minutes.

UH.... Createx IS acrylic paint. It just doesn't have very good adhesion compared to some other brands. Personally, I basecoat with thinned Apple Barrel Flat White acrylic using a VL. I flash dry it with a hair dryer and shoot successive coats until the lure is uniformly bright white (usually that means 2 or 3 coats). Just don't shoot the basecoat too thick and don't flash dry it too fast/hard or you can cause cracks in the paint or even push paint around with the dryer.

I just purchased a Paasche Vl off of Ebay... it comes with several bottles of Createx paint.... the question that I have is when I start painting is there any sort of primer required, or just my base color?

hey i paint my own lures and i use a white primer on them. i also use taxidermy paint the laqur kind from a local suplier call waso (wildlife artist supply company in monroe, Ga.) it comes already mix with the thinner ready to spray i need more info on a good expoy clearcoat for my lures. got any ideas.

Your question about clear coat could open up a real can of worms around here :flame: . There are several good ones you can use. It's all in your preference. Most use Devcon, Envvironmental lite (E-tex) or Dicknites Fishermans Lurecoat. There are a few others not listed but you will just have to find the one that works best for you. Do a search for clearcoats and you will find enough info to keep you busy for quite a while. :twocents:

Many TU guys use Devcon 2 Ton or Envirotex Lite. The Devcon 2T comes in a double syringe at Walmart for $2. Don't get Devcon 5 Min epoxy by mistake! Envirotex Lite comes in 2 ea 8 oz bottles sold as a table top epoxy at craft stores like Michaels. I've used both. Both work fine over water based acrylic paints. D2T cures to touch in 4-5 hrs and has a 5-10 min work time (brushing time). EL cures in 6-8 hrs and has a longer work time. The EL contains solvent and can cause solvent based colors to run. An EL clearcoat is usually thinner than D2T, so may require multiple coats depending on the application. Epoxy should be applied and cured at room temperature. The DickNite Lurecoat is a moisture cured one part polyurethane with rather demanding handling and application parameters, but it does yield a nice clearcoat. JMHO, the Devcon 2T has the shortest "learning curve" to get a professional looking clearcoat. There have been copious discussions on the above; search for more details!