Roger Linnell

tube mold

the other day, i stole some sharpies from the wife's pen stash, (she still don't know) and made a 6 cavity plaster mold, using the part of the pen that has sharpie written all over it. i pour in the plastic, let it cool till i see it start to shrink into the cavities, then turn the mold upside down, draining some plastic back into the pyrex, then right side up to cool. any body else try this?

it's a very simple one piece mold. you simply pour in the hot plastic, let it cool for ten seconds or so (depending on plastic temp, mold temp) then turn the mold upside down, drain the still hot, fluid plastic out of the mold for ten seconds or so, then reright the mold to cool. the outside of tubes comes out perfect every time. timing is everything as far as tube wall thickness goes. i've had some tubes come out half solid, with thick walls, but after a little experimenting, i've got it down. pros; you only have heat enough plastic to fill the cavities and the tubes exterior always comes out perfect.