beentheredonethat

Msg for Hughesy

or anyone for that matter.....

Tim -

Stickbait time isn't that far away. Seen the new Luckycraft baits with the flexible rear halfs? Any tips on how to get a good clearcoat coverage in all those slots?

Bought a few and am still a bit hesitant...and I don't want to mess up the action by stiffening the double stainless wire linking everything together.

btdt

Well I'm not Tim...

I think you will have to take some sort of adhesive backed film/tape/etc. and cut it with a micro blade to mask the gaps. Or you could make yourself crazy trying to sand/file it off. Have used foil tape to cover swivels for powder painting road runner heads...same approach might work.

My big Q on that bait is this: How are you going to stabilize the body enough to spin it on a dryer? Seems like it would be tough to keep it from sagging.

Tim - get Mark over at TRT to 'loan' you one! If he won't, let me know and I'll drop one off over there.

Dave - actually I don't use a drying wheel....blasphemy! Only finish a handful at a time anyway. I hold the bait vertical by the bill. Start brushing the clearcoat from the head down towards the tail. Once the bait is covered, wipe the brush off on the foil and 'dry' brush the bait from head to tail a few times. Then simply hang the bait vertically via the front eyelet or linetie to dry (2-3 days before it is really really cured). Most of the time there is little to no sagging or dripping and if there is some around the back eyelet, just use a dremel and small bit to knock it off or even use a pocketknife to trim it off. Don't want a real thick coating. And for suspending stickbaits, additionally use a hot air gun for 20-30 seconds to get much of the excess to liquify and run off. Sure, I get nicks and scratches in the finish from fishing them, but so does a thick finish.....just toss 'em in the recycle box and grab a fresh one. Surprising how long a thin coat will last!

btdt

grrrr!!!

There's a rather large toothy musky swimming around Pomme de Terre somewhere with one of my newly and nicely finished LuckyCraft! curses!!

My worries about finishing the bait was a non-issue. Paint went on nicely with little to no overspray into the slots and wire harness. Just clearcoated the outer edges of the ring sections and left the inner slots alone.

Needless to say, I put the others away while I was ahead! I've unintentionally caught more musky over there in the last 2 weeks than I have in the last 2 years combined.