Dweller

Need help from the devcon wizards

I am having trouble with my epoxy being some what cloudy over my foil baits it is not as noticable on my painted baits. I am using the little medicine cup to mix it in with a plastic stick. I am using straight epoxy and I have tried it with denatured alchol too. I stir for a minute and a half to two minutes. Could I be stiring to much and getting alot of air bubbles in it? how would I get rid of them? Thanks for all your help jlkirbykerr8@aol.com

It's not necessary to use the denatured alcohol. I think the denatured alcohol idea came about for coating molds. Anyway, the cloudiness is small bubbles in the mix. Just run a propane torch quickly over the surface and you will get rid of them. I move the torch quickly from left to right until I see they are gone.....it's not as critical on foil as it is on paint....paint will burn! By the time you get the bubbles out you might see that the epoxy is running like water, it's no big deal just get the bubbles out, put it on the dryer and start letting it turn. Oh, watch for expoxy bunching up at the tail and nose. If you see this just run a brush over them and smooth it out.

RM

Dweller,

After applying the Devcon if you simply breath over the bait most of the bubbles will disapate (sp ??) RM is right though passing a propane torch over them will just about eliminate all of them also.... If I'm not mistaken you are not turning your baits. I would be a good idea to do a search for drying wheels and getting one set up. It will keep your clear coats a lot more even with no build up in any one area. :twocents:

here is my process for devcon 2-ton. NOW....this is how "I" do it and to each his own, but I have no problems with air bubbles.

I rip off a small amount of foil and fold in half so that the shiny side is up. (I have found it helps to have a piece of glass or plexiglass under the foil so you have a clean flat surface) Put enough devcon on the foil to do the bait. Stir the devcon in all directions....it will turn cloudy, then clear and yes you will have air bubbles. Now take and scrape the devcon together starting on one side and scrape it all together (one scrapping will do)......stir again and let the devcon lay flat on the foil. I can still see air bubbles but very few. when you brush the devcon on, the bubbles will brush out. start at one end of the bait and work to the other. If you try to put it on too thin, you do not have enough devcon to brush the bubbles out. One more point....if the devcon starts setting up on you, you will create more bubbles. With that said, temperature becomes a key factor with devcon....

:twocents: that is how I do it

Hi Dweller

Here is a little trick which works. I really liked the idea of using a heat blower so I got myself a really cheap small hair dryer, you put it onto low speed then exhale into the air inlet of the dryer so you get two benifits here, first and foremost the CO2 from your breath is the thing that gets rid of the air bubbles and also the warmth from the dryer softens the epoxy thus assisting the escape of air :yay: . If you look carefully you can see the air bubbles forming and rising to the surface. This should be done soon after coating as when the curing process starts the surface tension of the epoxy increases and it is harder for the air to escape itself thats when you have to resort to the brush and chasing fish eyes, it is hard to get rid of 100% of the air there will always be a certain ammount remaining which WILL do its best to spoil your much prized efforts. Epoxy is a difficult medium to work with but there is nothing to match it.

philB

I am starting to make hard baits. I have one that mite sound different. hot air rises and expands, cold air is thick and falls. If you heat the lure with your hair dryer first then coat it the cooling lure would (suck) the epoxy to it. I don't have the experence just an idea?

I am starting to make hard baits. I have one that mite sound different. hot air rises and expands, cold air is thick and falls. If you heat the lure with your hair dryer first then coat it the cooling lure would (suck) the epoxy to it. I don't have the experence just an idea?

instead of heating with a hair dryer bake the lure in an oven at a low temp. This will only work for your sealing layer though as you will cause subsequent layers to blister brun and peel.

Many problems with Devcon relate to temperature. It won't expel bubbles very easily at below 70 degrees. I never have problems when it's 75-90 deg in the garage. If you heat the epoxy before mixing, it will be thin but it also begins to cure very quickly if you go too high. You also have to consider if you're brushing epoxy on a cold bait or mixing it in a cold container. These days when most households maintain cooler temps in winter, you may not have a warm place to work. I've never found a perfect solution except to mix only enough for one bait and get it on there asap.

Good thread. I have been using the 2T with pretty good results but have had a few leveling problems as well. It seems that the bigger baits bring bigger problems with this because it is starting to stiffen shortly after covering the lure and touching up small spots that still need coverage. Denatured alcohol seems to slow the curing process somewhat so that is what I have been doing. The first bait that I did with 2T was without the alcohol and the coating was flawless. I have yet to be able to duplicate those results.

I have a few questions. It the epoxy slightly fogging only in the areas where the foil is exposed and unpainted or only lightly painted? If so, the solution may not be any of the above.

I've had similar problems.

I clear the foil with epoxy before painting because foil does not like to hold paint that well. It has a tendency to flake off VERY easily prior to clear coating with epoxy... So I started clearing the foil prior to painting but immediately noticed the same problem you mentioned. I can eliminate most but not all of the very slight fogging when clearing prior to paint by brushing out a bit more and hitting it with the heat gun..

Now the type of fogging I'm talking about is very slight and requires that you hold the bait a certain way in the light before you might even notice it.

I find this thread interesting because right now I'm about to try something different to eliminate the problem. I'll let you know if it works.